Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:10:27 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<2uSdnSTeM7Iqk2nfRVn-1w@xxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
><stuff snipped>
>
>> I bought two GVISS/Samsung 16-camera multiplexors with RS-232 and RS-485
>> control, and independently configurable motion detection + contact
closure
>> on each input on eBay with Buy It Now for $109 shipped.
>>
>> http://www.gviss.com/Portals/0/UserManuals/GV-MUX16TC.PDF
>
>I've been searching the above site for a product manual, but both links on
>that page:
>
>http://www.gviss.com/Portals/0/GVIProductImages/363/GV-MUX16TC.PDF
>
>and
>
>http://www.gviss.com/Portals/0/GVIProductImages/363/GV-MUX16TC_pg25.pdf
>
>seem to point to the same 1 page spec sheet.  I would imagine only having a
>spec sheet would make programming and understanding this beastie a little
>intimidating.  Do you have the full manual or know where it could be found?
>
>Do you really have 32 cameras or did you buy an extra as a spare or for
>another location?

These units are apparently current models that sell new for more than 5X the
shipped price through eBay. There is a ~52.77% chance that one can plug in a
serial connection, fire up a terminal program at 9600,8,n,1 (or
thereabouts),  hit the carriage return, and all will be revealed through the
unit's 'embedded' ASCII-based  control program.  If not, the complete manual
might prove even more useful than expected and will be sought ;-) It looks
like the download you cite may just be the first page.

Having multiplexors is (for me) all about not having to run more cables.
Having two multiplexors is so that one can be on the 3rd floor/attic and one
in the basement.

(The exterior and interior walls of my house are solid, 185-year-old bricks
so running new cables is not a trivial exercise. The inside of the exterior
walls used to be insulated with horsehair, but that was removed late in the
last century and most are now skim-coated brick. Even if I value my time at
minimum wage, it's much preferable to multiplex than to run more cables. My
long-term fix is to do what I did at my last house which is to build
out("build-in", actually) the existing walls with stud-and-drywall,
insulated and wired walls.)

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult