Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

On 2 Aug 2005 07:53:23 -0700, "Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1122994402.963704.61680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> I also use the KTC infrared cameras, both color and B&W but they are much
>> larger and more intrusive and the infrared light seems to attract spiders
>> and other critters.
>
>Hmm... are there any cameras that have controllable IR LEDs? I'm
>thinking about getting a Day/Night cam with IR, but really only need
>the IR if motion is detected.
>
>- Mark.

Some time ago I dissected two different, inexpensive bullet cameras with IR
LEDs and found that the six LED's were run in series with the Vcc supply.

So if you have an additional conductor to the camera, and cut the power
trace on the PC board and attach the conductor, the LED could be controlled
remotely with a relay in series with the remote power supply. (If you don't
have a spare conductor, you might add ('inject") DC to the video line  using
a blocking capacitor at each end.)

I bought two GVISS/Samsung 16-camera multiplexors with RS-232 and RS-485
control, and independently configurable motion detection + contact closure
on each input on eBay with Buy It Now for $109 shipped.

http://www.gviss.com/Portals/0/UserManuals/GV-MUX16TC.PDF

There are still six more available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5792987028&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

One of these could be used to switch on the LED supply when motion was
detected but it's unclear (to me) why this is needed.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult