Re: Whole house fan

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:42:26 -0500, "B Fuhrmann"
<b-fuhrmann-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Has anyone tried using some sort of powered air input to the house so that a
>whole house fan can be run without opening windows?

Yes, we use one of those, see redoak web site below.

>Two ideas are going through my mind:
>
>A fan blowing into the lower part of the townhome (a very vertical design)
>but the air may just make a bee line between that room and the whole house
>fan.

Fresh air is sucked in thro an outside vent and is blown into all
rooms except the kitchen, utility and bathrooms.

The other rooms have vents that suck the air out.  Outgoing moist air
goes through a heat exchanger to warm up the incoming air.

>A fan or a passive input to the forced air system input.  A little more
>difficult to set up but the cool air would be distributed to all the rooms.
>
>With either of these systems, it would only require controlling a couple
>power circuits to run the system.  No need to figure out how to open/close
>windows.

True, all windows are kept closed from autumn to sprint and the system
avoids condensation too as a bonus.

>Any ideas out there?

We are all electric and heavily insulated.  See www.redoak.co.uk for
ideas.