Re: Understanding X10 Dims???

I'm not sure I understand your question.

I have noticed anomolies in what the CM11A reports but I haven't determined
that there is any pattern (which doesn't mean there is none).

When sending, the CM11A only uses 5 bits for the Dim/Bright value which,
according to X-10 documentation, can only be 0-22. Other PLC interfaces send
N+1 contiguous DIM/BRT as I explained in the post that was quoted. I don't
think the variations you see are meaningful because none of the transmitters
have that kind of resolution but I've never tried measuring the voltage from
a lamp module. AFAIK the only way to get finer resolution at the receiver is
with a series of microsteps and that takes a great deal of time.

I have a CM15A and have made a ribbon cable extension so I could move the
MCU to a breadboard and expose all of the signal lines. I've used it with my
scope card to record the powerline signals when sending dim levels 0-22 with
a CM11A. I cannot convert them to GIFs and publish them because of the need
to scroll the scope display - 22 contiguous dims needs 22*11=242 half
cycles. It's easy to count the number of contiguous dims by just counting
the start codes. The number of contiguous dims is equal to the same 0-22
sent by the CM11A. Another CM11A that was reporting the same bitstream has
to be fudging the extra bits of resolution it reports as they are not on the
powerline.

Neil Cherry has modified a TW523 to report the powerline bitstream. Maybe he
could record some sequences for you.

If I remember, I'll try to connect a meter to the output side of a lamp
module and see whether I can plot voltage vs. microsteps as well as voltage
vs. 1-22 brights.