Re: Whole house fan

>> This outside air vent would probably suffice and might not even need a
>> blower. If this airflow did need a boost, the existing "fan" that is
>> frequently controlled by the AC thermostat would work, if its was mode
>> switch was changed from AUTO to ON.  This plenum vent would require a
>> butterfly valve to close the vent into the plenum for normal "auto"
>> operation and I know these are available reasonably.

"Jack Ak"  wrote
> Wouldn't the "other" source of outside air require the same cubic
> feet/minute
> air flow rate as the whole house fan?  Put a second whole house fan in a
> wall
> oriented for inward air flow and turn both on at the same time.  The air
> flow
> wouldn't reach other rooms unless those rooms were in the path between
> fans.

The answer is no, you don't need a matching fan.
Whole house fans are designed to work without any input fan.  The amount of
air that they pull in is dependant on the restriction of the opening.  As
the opening gets restricted enough, the fan becomes inefficient.

The idea is that a fan will effectively reduce the restriction of a smaller
opening so that a large opening is not needed.

Yes, the air will take the path of least resistance between the intake and
the fan.  They are typically used with windows open part way in a number of
rooms.  It does not require that they be all that far open, and is better
that the nearer ones not be very far open.
My townhome happens to be particularly suited for a fan.  It is very tall so
that heat naturally collects in one location.
However, one possibility that I listed was to use the furnace fan to
distribute the make up air to all the rooms better.

--
Bill Fuhrmann
Remove DELETE to reply