Re: help please! whole house audio system

On 8 Aug 2005 14:02:16 -0700, freedivernd@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> HI... I just don't have the time to do the homework.  I have built a
> house.. wired with 16ga 4wire and 2wire to several rooms, I have placed
> individual single gang boxes for volume controls in each room where
> there are speakers (well, soon to be speakers).
>
> What I need  to know is what do I need??

This one is easy, Fred.  You only need impedance matching volume
controls and speakers.  Wire all of the left channel speaker
cables together at the end where the receiver will be.  Do the
same with the right channel cables.

In each remote room install an impedance matching volume control
and set it to "8X".  That will protect the amplifier by keeping
the overall load above 8 Ohms.

Some people like to use a speaker selector at the head end.  The
theory is that this will provide a centralized means of selecting
where music will play.  IMO it's usually better to use volume
controls with an off position in the rooms so you can choose to
listen or not at the room.

> Desperate for someone else to have done my homework
> for me....

No problem.  I design multi-room sound systems all the time.
This one will be a snap to install.  If you have not yet selected
a supplier, you might want to browse my online store.  I carry
several good lines of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, as well as
a selection of impedance matching volume controls.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
http://bassburglaralarms.com/categtype_26.htm

--