Re: And Now for something completely different!!!

On 11/1/2022 4:11 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 11/1/2022 1:02 PM, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> IEI used to have some decent weatheproof keypads that are 12V, but
>>> like you said... battery.  I can see why you might not be able to
>>> share more of the application, but an idea of estimated usage, idle
>>> current, active current, any secondary current, cycle frequency...
>>> might give you some quidelines as to whether you could get away with
>>> something like a gell in a box. Or a gell in a box with a solar charger.
>>>
>>> I once ran an entire alarm panel with cellular off a 60 watt panel
>>> using a small rack of gells and an inverter.  Several of them
>>> actually in unpowered model homes.  Of course I have the privilege of
>>> living in a place where a restaurant once advertised free meals any
>>> day the sun doesn't shine.  They paid off once, but technically they
>>> didn't have to.   The sun broke through just before sunset.
>>>

>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> This is for a AirB&B to give access to the building.  There is no
>> available power source.  And in trying to get wire there would need
>> at least 2 Quarter Sticks of Dynamite.   The usage would be maybe
>> four time a day when occupied.  A GelCell would work but then the box
>> would need to be of an undesirable size.  I was thinking if there was
>> a keypad maybe a 2x4 box with a 3 Volt Lithium would last maybe
>> 6 months could do the job.
>>
>> There are a lot of factors to make this work.  But, if only someone
>> would have said 2 years ago to plan for a AirB&B for this unit life
>> would be so MUCH easier.  For now the plan is to use a key in a lock
>> box on the door knob.
>>
>> I had looked at IEI Linear before but there does not seem to be one
>> that fits the bill.
>>
>> Thanks for the almost hint!!
>>
>> Les
>>

> How about a regular digital entry lock.  You can buy one at Home Depot
> or Amazon.  Maybe WalMart and certainly eBay.  I bet even ADI has one.
> Tri-Ed might have one, but they would send you something else, say it
> was your fault, and then refuse to sell to you again if you complain.
>
> Funny.  I just saw Anixter owns Tri-Ed now.  I wonder if they are upto
> Anixter service levels now, or if Tri-Ed dragged Anixter down to their
> level.  I used to buy some government spec data products from Anixter.

Yes, one of those digital entry locks would work if it wasn't for the
new panic hardware installed on the door.  Well maybe, I am not going
to get involved with trying to find something that will match up
properly.  I actually have a Aiphone Apartment access GT series that is
connected to a door strike.  The problem is that when I wired it there
was no pathway for pulling additional wires.  So the 24vdc digital
wire that does all the power and communication for the call stations
can't be used to power anything else.

My thinking is that if I had a battery operated keypad w/ relay I could
connect in parallel to the Aiphone relay to the strike.

Maybe I need to figure out a way to get a clean 12vdc wire to the
keypad.  It is finding a good 120vac source that can be used for a
easily/properly 12vdc wall wart installed.

I need to spend more time on site to think this out.

Later,

Les