Re: 4K analog cameras

On 5/28/2022 7:19 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 5/28/2022 9:36 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with 4K *Analog* cameras?
>> .
>> I have an estimate that I'm doing for someone that I installed analog
>> cameras for about 12 years ago (coax siamese). He wants to upgrade his
>> system and, of course, IP cameras have become more popular and down in
>> price in 12 years. He wants to add some cameras to his existing house
>> system and add cameras to his free standing humongous garage. (There's
>> an existing low voltage conduit that I recommended back then, between
>> house and garage)
>> So - - - - he wants me to give him three proposals.
>> .
>> 1. Replace all coax with Cat6 in the house and add  additional
>> cameras. With this system I can run Cat 6 to the garage and hook those
>> cameras in via a network switch. Whole system using 8MP (4K) cameras
>> and 16 channel NVR located in the house.
>> .
>> 2. Using existing coax and adding new coax for new cameras, use 4K
>> *analog* cameras in the house using 16 channel *DVR*
>> Install 8 channel *NVR* and 8 MP (4K) IP cameras  in the garage. This
>> requires using to app's to view cameras.
>> .
>> 3. Using existing coax and adding new coax for new cameras, use 4k
>> analog cameras in the house. However there is available a Hybrid NVR
>> /DVR available with 16 analog channels and 6 extra IP channels (using
>> external POE switch)  With this setup there would be only one recorder
>> in the house.
>> .
>> I know cost is going to be a major consideration especially for labor
>> in option #1 but he's going to have to weigh that against convenience
>> accessibility and capability. The original wiring was done during
>> reconstruction so not easy to get to same locations of existing
>> cameras in the house.
>> Analog systems don't have any of the special features that the IP
>> systems have but residential doesn't require most of them anyway.
>> (line crossing, license plate, facial recognition, etc) which the IP
>> cameras I'd be using would only have audio and line crossing.
>> I thought that frame rate would be a problem between analog and IP but
>> the IP recorder has 16 FPS and the Analog recorder is 15 FPS. so no
>> problem there. Supplier says that there have been no complaints on the
>> analog 4K products.
>> Starting off with 10TB hard drives and can add a second HD in each of
>> the recorders if necessary.
>> So ----- original question --- anyone have any experience with 4K
>> *analog* video or suggestions/comments on any of the above?
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> WOW!!!
>
> For a residential customer to want all of that whichever way is a bit
> extreme to say the least!!
>
> To answer your question specifically.  No I have not.
> [...]

Digital Watchdog, had some relatively affordable HD over coax (not sure
about 4K) systems last time I looked.  They even worked (back then) with
other MFGs cameras.  You just had to have the same make, model, &
resolution of camera (I suspect format nuance) for pairs of camera.   I
installed a few DW DVRs and they were ok, but they had the typical tech
company attitude of fail fast - fail often.   I often had to update DVRs
in the field to get them to work properly.  I never used their NVRs.  I
used that Chinese company that you guys were complaining about not all
that long ago for X.X-MPs over Cat wire.  They were much more
restrictive, but I suppose you know that.

https://www.avg.com