Re: 4K analog cameras

On 5/28/2022 9:36 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with 4K *Analog* cameras?
> .
> I have an estimate that I'm doing for someone that I installed analog cameras for about 12 years ago (coax siamese). He wants to upgrade his system and, of course, IP cameras have become more popular and down in price in 12 years. He wants to add some cameras to his existing house system and add cameras to his free standing humongous garage. (There's an existing low voltage conduit that I recommended back then, between house and garage)
> So - - - - he wants me to give him three proposals.
> .
> 1. Replace all coax with Cat6 in the house and add  additional cameras. With this system I can run Cat 6 to the garage and hook those cameras in via a network switch. Whole system using 8MP (4K) cameras and 16 channel NVR located in the house.
> .
> 2. Using existing coax and adding new coax for new cameras, use 4K *analog* cameras in the house using 16 channel *DVR*
> Install 8 channel *NVR* and 8 MP (4K) IP cameras  in the garage. This requires using to app's to view cameras.
> .
> 3. Using existing coax and adding new coax for new cameras, use 4k analog cameras in the house. However there is available a Hybrid NVR /DVR available with 16 analog channels and 6 extra IP channels (using external POE switch)  With this setup there would be only one recorder in the house.
> .
> I know cost is going to be a major consideration especially for labor in option #1 but he's going to have to weigh that against convenience accessibility and capability. The original wiring was done during reconstruction so not easy to get to same locations of existing cameras in the house.
> Analog systems don't have any of the special features that the IP systems have but residential doesn't require most of them anyway. (line crossing, license plate, facial recognition, etc) which the IP cameras I'd be using would only have audio and line crossing.
> I thought that frame rate would be a problem between analog and IP but the IP recorder has 16 FPS and the Analog recorder is 15 FPS. so no problem there. Supplier says that there have been no complaints on the analog 4K products.
> Starting off with 10TB hard drives and can add a second HD in each of the recorders if necessary.
> So ----- original question --- anyone have any experience with 4K *analog* video or suggestions/comments on any of the above?

Hi Jim,

WOW!!!

For a residential customer to want all of that whichever way is a bit
extreme to say the least!!

To answer your question specifically.  No I have not.
I have upgraded a couple old coax systems with new DVR and cameras.
However the cameras I used were 1080P.  Picture was leaps above the
original 720p's.

I would guess that as long as you get the right recorder with proper
capabilities for 4K it should go well.

Personally I would have a problem working up three different proposals
for the customer to say he is not going to do right now for some dumb
reason.

I presently have a customer that has asked for a Security Upgrade
Proposal 3 times in the past 8 years.  Just sent him the recent
2 months ago.  Another waste of my time!!!

Good luck on your quest!!  Hope it goes well and profitable.

Les