Re: OT Jeopardy Winner 12/15/2022

On 12/16/2022 5:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 12/16/2022 2:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> It was probably more like $400,000 and many of the prizes wouldn't be
>>> claimable if he couldn't independently pay the taxes on them first.
>>>
>>> I've day dreamed about winning the lottery so I only have to do jobs
>>> that really interest me.  I've done the research.  LOL.
>>>

>> On Jeopardy it is only ca$h.  No prizes!!  And yes, the actual take-home
>> is always less than what is posted. It is the taxes! That will get you.
>>
>> But, forgetting the taxes, the WHAT IS LEFT!! Is not to be cried about!!
>>
>> I gave up on the Lottery before the Flood of 1972!!
>> They always say "You gotta to play to win"
>> What they don't say is, You gotta to play to lose!!
>>

> Ultimately you play to have fun.  (I don't buy lottery tickets but my
> wife does once in a while.)  I used to enjoy playing low limit 7 card
> stud in Vegas.  Even if I was losing I had fun.  Sometimes I won and a
> few times I pulled crazy movie level bluffs and won (and lost).  Then
> everybody switched to high pressure, high speed aggressive play Texas
> Holdem.  It wasn't fun for me.  I could hold my own unless there were
> more than two or three good players at the table, but it was not fun. It
> was hard work in your face game play.
>
> I figure one day I'll come home and find my wife gone with a couple bags
> missing.  I'll know we finally won the lottery.  I'll call her of
> course.  I hope I catch her before she gets to far out to sea on her
> round the world cruise, so she can tell me where my half is stashed.

Back in the 80's when I got my first computer "Timex Sinclair".  I got
it on a 30 Day Trail basis for $99.99 and $39.99 for a extra 16K memory
card.  It connected to my TV and the keyboard was about 4"x7" pressure
sensitive keys.
After I taught myself to write a Basic Language program to generate a
random 3 digit number I ended up calling my Dad and told him what I got.
He really never understood that "computer thing" but I said that I could
generate a 3 digit number for him to play on the Lottery this week.
He always played the Lottery!!  He said "Ok?"

So I loaded the program and pressed Enter.
The number that came up was 2 7 2
I said to my Dad "The computer says 2 7 2 so play that number this week!
He said "Well Ok  ?"
Soooooo Friday night I am watching the News and at the end at 6:59pm
they do that Lottery Drawing thing.

The first number was a     2
The Second number was a    7
The third number was a     2

I called my Dad and said "DAD!! DAD!! You Won!!!!
There was dead silence............................
I said Dad did you see the number came up you WON!!!
He said, I forgot to buy a ticket.................

He kicked himself for years after that.  And it never happened again!!

Totally TRUE STORY!!!

Oh, I ended up taking the Timex Sinclair back and got a refund.  Then
went out and bought an ATARI 400  :-)

Hope you enjoyed the History Story!!!

Les