Re: OT Jeopardy Winner 12/15/2022

On 12/16/2022 4:27 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 12/16/2022 6:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Back in the 80's when I got my first computer "Timex Sinclair".  I
>>> got it on a 30 Day Trail basis for $99.99 and $39.99 for a extra 16K
>>> memory
>>> card.  It connected to my TV and the keyboard was about 4"x7" pressure
>>> sensitive keys.
>>> After I taught myself to write a Basic Language program to generate a
>>> random 3 digit number I ended up calling my Dad and told him what I got.
>>> He really never understood that "computer thing" but I said that I could
>>> generate a 3 digit number for him to play on the Lottery this week.
>>> He always played the Lottery!!  He said "Ok?"
>>>
>>> So I loaded the program and pressed Enter.
>>> The number that came up was 2 7 2
>>> I said to my Dad "The computer says 2 7 2 so play that number this week!
>>> He said "Well Ok  ?"
>>> Soooooo Friday night I am watching the News and at the end at 6:59pm
>>> they do that Lottery Drawing thing.
>>>
>>> The first number was a     2
>>> The Second number was a    7
>>> The third number was a     2
>>>
>>> I called my Dad and said "DAD!! DAD!! You Won!!!!
>>> There was dead silence............................
>>> I said Dad did you see the number came up you WON!!!
>>> He said, I forgot to buy a ticket.................
>>>
>>> He kicked himself for years after that.  And it never happened again!!
>>>
>>> Totally TRUE STORY!!!
>>>
>>> Oh, I ended up taking the Timex Sinclair back and got a refund.  Then
>>> went out and bought an ATARI 400  :-)
>>>
>>> Hope you enjoyed the History Story!!!
>>>
>>> Les
>>

>> Well if you just want to talk about antiques I learned to write BASIC
>> on a Commodore Pet 2001 with a push button tape drive.  That would
>> have been around 1977.  I wrote a numbers instead of colors version of
>> Master Mind on the Heathkit H89A and I was in the process of writing a
>> black jack program when APS dropped a wire across another wire feeding
>> a massive over voltage into every household in the area.  I knew there
>> was a problem when the surge suppressor exploded and flames shot up
>> the wall.
>>
>> The H89A with its Z80 could have eaten a half dozen Timex Sinclairs
>> before breakfast.
>>
>> I got to play with some Apple II+ computers in school in 81/82, but it
>> wasn't until 83 when I discovered the wide open world of the PC/XT.
>>
>> In the mid 90s a buddy of mine was setting up networks in local high
>> schools.  At one point he had a bunch of the old PC cases with the
>> holes for the two big connectors in the back.  He was whining because
>> he couldn't put AT boards in them.  I said, "I have a Sawzall and a
>> bunch of hole saws."  We were installing computers with sushi cases
>> before anybody knew what a sushi case was.
>>
>> Sushi cases were the nickname we gave the cheap Chinese stamped cases
>> that were not deburred.  The joke was you would get chopped up like
>> sushi building computers with them.  Used to buy a lot of that stuff
> [...]

It could have gone either way really.  At one point I was delivering
pizzas at night, doing shipping and receiving at a tool store during the
day, and working on computers when I could.  If an old Alarm Data
customer hadn't asked a buddy of mine to get me in touch with him to
work on his home computer I'd probably be a pizza store manager, and the
owner probably wouldn't have gone to jail for arson.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com