Re: Radionics RAM IV

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 2:05:07 AM UTC-4, mleuck wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 10:13:22 PM UTC-5, alar...@xxxxxxx wrote:=
=20
>=20
> > Sorry, Can't help you with this one.=20
> > I really avoided anything to do with Radionics. I'm not one for joining=
 dealerships or exclusive equipment cadre's. I always thought (and still do=
) that using equipment that entrapped the end user into having to use an in=
staller from an exclusive group also entrapped the dealer. And having been =
in this trade for so many years I've seen them all come - - - - - - - - and=
 without fail - - - - - go.=20
> > Leaving not only the end users but the dealers without support.
> Around here they seem to last longer than the non-exclusive equipment dea=
lers, couple of companies installing Radionics/Bosch have been in business =
for over 20 years.
,
A whole "couple" huh?
.
I'm sure there's a "couple" left around here also. I'm thinking that they'v=
e likely taken over all the remnants of all the other failed Radionics inst=
allers.=20
,
Back when Radionics first came out, it seemed to me, around here at least, =
that some of the larger companies took on the Radionics dealership as an ad=
junct to their regular installations and you'd see Radionics in banks and h=
otels and all the big installations. However there were quite a number of s=
maller installers around here who became dealers and it was their exclusive=
 installation operation. I thought then, as now that they probably thought =
that they could "capture" their customers so that they couldn't leave unles=
s they were willing to pay to have their panel and keypads replaced. Which =
- - - in many instances was the case. Again, in my opinion, I think that an=
y installer with that kind of mind set probably wouldn't have been able to =
stay in business for any great length of time anyway, regardless of which e=
quipment they used. Seemed that a lot of these companies didn't provide goo=
d service either (which is likely related to the "capture a customer" mind =
set. )=20
.
With the number of "dealers" who no longer existed, In my experience, when =
ever I was called and there was a Radionics panel, It's because the "dealer=
" was no longer around and and they couldn't find anyone but another "deale=
r" who could gain access to the panel to take it over. It was always the ca=
se that the end user didn't know that they had equipment that could only be=
 serviced by a choice few. And that also seemed to be the experience of the=
 non "dealer" installers that I knew. Most of the end users that I came in =
contact with didn't want to have another Radionics dealer come in to take o=
ver their system because they didn't want to be "captured" again buy anothe=
r exclusive dealer. Of course that was with a little prompting from me.
.
The one thing though that was tough to over come was that Radionics had the=
 jump on most of the other manufacturers in technology and trying to convin=
ce a Radionics user to give it up was sometimes difficult. It was a few yea=
rs before other manufacturers caught up.  Morse came out somewhere around t=
hat time with their newly designed keypad, which went over quite well. That=
 wasn't part of a dealership offering though. Unfortunately for Morse, they=
 never advanced the development of their panels much further than their int=
roductory panel. I still have a few Morse panels still operating.=20
.
But - - - - - that was then. I haven't come across a Radionics in years and=
 of course now days taking over a panel is easy if it's just a central stat=
ion switch.