Re: The Man From A.S.S.

On 5/26/2020 10:46 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 2:55:34 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 5/26/2020 10:55 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> Written in response to a marketing related post on Facebook to a guy who
>>> makes rod holders under the company name Elite Rod Holders.
>>>
>>> Branding is a tough thing, but if you are not a one dimensional creator
>>> you will come up with ideas and create products other than rod holders
>>> at some time. You may already have to much invested in the current name,
>>> but how about considering how you can back off the name to something
>>> more encompassing. With a name that screams "I SELL ROD HOLDERS" it
>>> might be difficult to market say a new seat bracket or some other widget
>>> or gizmo you create that isn't a rod holder. Can you find a way to take
>>> advantage of the branding you have already done to encompass a broader
>>> range of product in the future. The FACT is no matter how well you do
>>> you will not monopolize the rod holder market. You can't count on one
>>> dimensional growth.
>>>
>>> "ERH Products." Wow! That guy makes a great beverage holder. "Well ERH!"
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> No I am not in advertising. I spent 23 years as a licensed contractor
>>> with a one dimensional business name. The Security Consultant. The thing
>>> is some of my biggest jobs were voice and data cabling jobs. Not at all
>>> security related. Others were customers were I did, sound systems, phone
>>> systems, intercom, video, and security all for one client. I did ok, but
>>> a name that better encompassed my range of skills might have done
>>> better. I have since thought a name like Arizona Systems Solutions might
>>> have been better. People would certainly remember that guy from A.S.S. I
>>> imagine it would have been hysterical to have A.S.S. security decals on
>>> windows all over town. Seriously though. Try to think about how you can
>>> and will expand in the future. If you stubbornly say, "I am only ever
>>> going to make rod holders," then don't worry about it.
>>>

>> Well Bob that was very well written and humorous!!
>>
>> Which makes me want to tell another true story.  It October 1989 a
>> friend and I decided to start a business in security.  We sat down at
>> the kitchen table and decided we needed a name.  Hmmmmmmm  Well we
>> thought we should try and be first in the phone book and come up with
>> something starting with the letter "A".  We couldn't fit a lot of "A"s
>> into our thoughts but then my friend says how about "Aegis Security".
>> Aegis??  Yea, it means Secure in Greek.  (actually "shield" or
>> "protection") but at the time who am I to argue?? It still works!!
>>
>> So, we called the attorney and said make the name on the application for
>> "Aegis Security, Inc."  So the attorney (being paid for every second"
>> did the apply thing and came back the next day saying sorry that
>> is already being used, you need to come up with something else.
>>
>> So it was back to the kitchen table......... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

> [...]

Ok Jim, that makes me question.

You saw a Mammoth what??

Woolly?
Northern or Siberian?
Hole?
Tree?
Rock?
Blade of Grass?
Foot Print?

Sorry I am out of ideas of a something Mammoth or a Mammoth something.

Please advise.  :-)

BTW I like the rock on a vine, over a cave door.

I can almost see that on a business card as a logo.