Re: The Man From A.S.S.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 2:55:34 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 5/26/2020 10:55 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> > Written in response to a marketing related post on Facebook to a guy wh=
o=20
> > makes rod holders under the company name Elite Rod Holders.
> >=20
> > Branding is a tough thing, but if you are not a one dimensional creator=
=20
> > you will come up with ideas and create products other than rod holders=
=20
> > at some time. You may already have to much invested in the current name=
,=20
> > but how about considering how you can back off the name to something=20
> > more encompassing. With a name that screams "I SELL ROD HOLDERS" it=20
> > might be difficult to market say a new seat bracket or some other widge=
t=20
> > or gizmo you create that isn't a rod holder. Can you find a way to take=
=20
> > advantage of the branding you have already done to encompass a broader=
=20
> > range of product in the future. The FACT is no matter how well you do=
=20
> > you will not monopolize the rod holder market. You can't count on one=
=20
> > dimensional growth.
> >=20
> > "ERH Products." Wow! That guy makes a great beverage holder. "Well ERH!=
"=20
> > LOL
> >=20
> > No I am not in advertising. I spent 23 years as a licensed contractor=
=20
> > with a one dimensional business name. The Security Consultant. The thin=
g=20
> > is some of my biggest jobs were voice and data cabling jobs. Not at all=
=20
> > security related. Others were customers were I did, sound systems, phon=
e=20
> > systems, intercom, video, and security all for one client. I did ok, bu=
t=20
> > a name that better encompassed my range of skills might have done=20
> > better. I have since thought a name like Arizona Systems Solutions migh=
t=20
> > have been better. People would certainly remember that guy from A.S.S. =
I=20
> [...]
=20
> > windows all over town. Seriously though. Try to think about how you can=
=20
> > and will expand in the future. If you stubbornly say, "I am only ever=
=20
> > going to make rod holders," then don't worry about it.
> >=20
>=20
> Well Bob that was very well written and humorous!!
>=20
> Which makes me want to tell another true story.  It October 1989 a
> friend and I decided to start a business in security.  We sat down at
> the kitchen table and decided we needed a name.  Hmmmmmmm  Well we
> thought we should try and be first in the phone book and come up with
> something starting with the letter "A".  We couldn't fit a lot of "A"s
> into our thoughts but then my friend says how about "Aegis Security".=20
> Aegis??  Yea, it means Secure in Greek.  (actually "shield" or
> "protection") but at the time who am I to argue?? It still works!!
>=20
> So, we called the attorney and said make the name on the application for
> "Aegis Security, Inc."  So the attorney (being paid for every second"
> did the apply thing and came back the next day saying sorry that
> is already being used, you need to come up with something else.
>=20
> So it was back to the kitchen table......... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>=20
> So we started with things with our initials, locality, a bunch of
> stuff that didn't seem to work.  So I said, how about we focus on
> the things that we can do.  He says, you mean like, we are able to
> do security, and were are able to do fire alarms, we were able to
> to do phone systems, we are able.........................
> That is when the light bulb lit up and we both said how about;
> ABLE Security, Inc.  We contacted the attorney again and
> sure enough it was OK to use ABLE Security, Inc.
>=20
> And, that was just the beginning of the story.
>=20
> Been over 30 years now!!  It's A.S.I not quite A.S.S. but close.
>=20
> However, there is a Able Security and Fire Alarm Systems
> in Wisconsin that would be A.S.F.A.S. Drop the Fire Alarm and then
> they qualify.  Over the past couple of years I have received phone calls
> from their customers that don't look close enough to the Area Code
> difference looking for some help with their system.  I was ABLE to help=
=20
> one fellow just because I am a nice guy.  I also explained that the
> service call invoice was in the mail.  He said; "you don't know where I
> live!!"  I said; "you gave me your address when you called"  And besides
> it would be better than a 1,700 mile Portal to Portal Trip Charge!!!
> The last one just a week ago had no humor so I just told him to the=20

When I was starting the company oh so many many years ago, I just couldn't =
come up with a good name. My wife and I were sitting outside by the fire pi=
t eating breakfast, just throwing names out, none of which sounded appropri=
ate. Trying to think of something, I got up and went to the edge of the cle=
aring and was inspired by the first thing I saw.=20

So we called the company Mammoth Alarm=20

There was also a squirrel and a robin but Mammoth sounded better.=20
My first system was a rock on a vine, over a cave door.