Re: Check in

On 5/11/2020 8:08 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 3:56:36 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 5/11/2020 2:49 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> Sounds like you had a "fun" time with that door.
>>>
>>> I've been working in mostly new construction. I've been arriving on the job about 3PM. If there are any other trades that have been working they usually leave about that time. I'll then work till anywhere around 8/9/10 PM depending if I can complete a task or not. I've got several jobs that I've suspended because they're inside of peoples homes and since everyone is home, I'm not going to spend the day working with a mask and gloves. They've all agreed that's it's best to wait until this is over. I'll be going to a doctors office tomorrow since it's closed and adding a new camera to an existing system and adding a new TV in another exam room. I guess that's a new trend. I've got a few doctors offices and they all have TV's in their exam rooms. I guess my personal health insurance isn't too good because none of the doctors I go to have TV's in their exam rooms. I just get to look at the anatomy posters on the wall.
>>>
>>> Today, I'll be starting to set up the board in the utility room in a 60,000 square foot building one of my customers just bought and is going to move into in about a year. I want to mount some empty boxes that will be used to house zone expansion modules and terminal blocks in the future as zones are added. I'll be using the Napco 255 zone panel. I have to figure out how I'm going to route the cables between boxes. I'll be mounting 3 additional boxes. I have a lot of spare metal boxes from panels I've pulled out so I thought I'd recycle them. But typical metal alarm boxes only have one inch knockouts so I'm figuring I'll have to punch some bigger holes and use some kind of fitting. but haven't decided yet on PVC ? , metal conduit ? Flex tubing ? I don't know yet.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking mounting the 4 boxes in a square with two big conduits from each box to each of the other boxes. Don't forget, I have the potential of 255 zones and I'm running at the least 22 gage 4 wire and I've already had to run 8 eight conductor 18 gage wires to the far end of the building for keypads with EZM zones. I didn't want the voltage drop to be a problem. Keypads draw 100ma. From those keypad, I'll be using the EZM zones for some temporary security as they move their wood shop machinery from their present building to this new building.
>>>
>>> Anyone got any suggestions ?
>>>

>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I understand the desire to recycle (I have a lot of empty cans as well)
>> However, I have found that doing it as you describe becomes a bit of
>> ugly when all is finished.  So my way of handling the large jobs is
>> to use the ELK Structured Wiring cans.
>> Go here:
>>
>> https://www.elkproducts.com/structured_wiring.html
>>
>> This is the one I suggest.

> [...]
Jim,

What I would do is use my CAD and draw the can up to scale as well as
the individual boards, relays, cards, etc. and lay things out if various
configurations.  Pick the one that makes the most sense and then do it
different when I am on site.  :-)

There have been a few jobs that I used the ELK can and mounted the
security motherboard and other components in the can.  Just because
it would have been pointless to use the can that came with the panel.

As for the battery shelf.  Never used one.  It only comes in handy
if the battery is better mounted above the bottom because of a lot
of cables coming up from the floor.  Actually I don't do that.  Most
of my cable come down from the top or in from the back about halfway up.

Terminal Strips??  eBay Search for: Electric Barrier Strip Block 600V
I know they are for up to 600v but they are very easy to mount and use.
They come with a nice clear cover that can be labeled to look good.
Then again you may have your favorite.

I think you will find using these panel will be a big pleasure.  There
are a lot of accessories that will make things easier.  You will just
have to purchase wisely my friend.

Hope this helps you ease you mind a bit.

Les