Re: Check in

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 3:56:36 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 5/11/2020 2:49 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > Hi Les,
> >=20
> > Sounds like you had a "fun" time with that door.
> >=20
> > I've been working in mostly new construction. I've been arriving on the=
 job about 3PM. If there are any other trades that have been working they u=
sually leave about that time. I'll then work till anywhere around 8/9/10 PM=
 depending if I can complete a task or not. I've got several jobs that I've=
 suspended because they're inside of peoples homes and since everyone is ho=
me, I'm not going to spend the day working with a mask and gloves. They've =
all agreed that's it's best to wait until this is over. I'll be going to a =
doctors office tomorrow since it's closed and adding a new camera to an exi=
sting system and adding a new TV in another exam room. I guess that's a new=
 trend. I've got a few doctors offices and they all have TV's in their exam=
 rooms. I guess my personal health insurance isn't too good because none of=
 the doctors I go to have TV's in their exam rooms. I just get to look at t=
he anatomy posters on the wall.
> >=20
> > Today, I'll be starting to set up the board in the utility room in a 60=
,000 square foot building one of my customers just bought and is going to m=
ove into in about a year. I want to mount some empty boxes that will be use=
d to house zone expansion modules and terminal blocks in the future as zone=
s are added. I'll be using the Napco 255 zone panel. I have to figure out h=
ow I'm going to route the cables between boxes. I'll be mounting 3 addition=
al boxes. I have a lot of spare metal boxes from panels I've pulled out so =
I thought I'd recycle them. But typical metal alarm boxes only have one inc=
h knockouts so I'm figuring I'll have to punch some bigger holes and use so=
me kind of fitting. but haven't decided yet on PVC ? , metal conduit ? Flex=
 tubing ? I don't know yet.
> >=20
> > I'm thinking mounting the 4 boxes in a square with two big conduits fro=
m each box to each of the other boxes. Don't forget, I have the potential o=
f 255 zones and I'm running at the least 22 gage 4 wire and I've already ha=
d to run 8 eight conductor 18 gage wires to the far end of the building for=
 keypads with EZM zones. I didn't want the voltage drop to be a problem. Ke=
ypads draw 100ma. From those keypad, I'll be using the EZM zones for some t=
emporary security as they move their wood shop machinery from their present=
 building to this new building.
> >=20
> > Anyone got any suggestions ?
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> Hi Jim,
>=20
> I understand the desire to recycle (I have a lot of empty cans as well)
> However, I have found that doing it as you describe becomes a bit of
> ugly when all is finished.  So my way of handling the large jobs is
> to use the ELK Structured Wiring cans.
> Go here:
>=20
> https://www.elkproducts.com/structured_wiring.html
>=20
> This is the one I suggest.
>=20
> https://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-swb28-structured-wiring-box-28-i=
nch
>=20
> I have two large buildings on the same property with at least four
> each located at comfortable spacing in the buildings.  Filled with
> Auxiliary Power Supplies, Zone Expanders, Relay Modules, etc.
> Works out very well and looks even better.  Oh and the cans
> have 1/2", 3/4", and 1 1/4" Knockouts.  COOL!!!
>=20
> Check them out.
>=20
> BTW I do not get any commission on your purchases so it won't do you
> any good to mention my name.  :-)
>=20
> Hope your project goes well.
>=20
> Les

Hi Les,

Looking at those boxes. I guess one big box would be better than 4 smaller =
boxes and I wouldn't have to worry about connecting them.

I've used this kind of box a long time ago when structured wiring just star=
ted to become popular but most of the time, the size of the jobs I usually =
do don't warrant a box like this.=20

With these Elk boxes Tell me if I've got this right about the multi purpose=
 mounting plates. These appear to be a means to mount printed circuit board=
s on with stand offs ----- Yes?

So with Napco, their accessories are self contained in hard covered modules=
. So I'm assuming I could just mount them directly to the back of the Elk b=
ox screwed into the back-board ---- Yes?=20

The only thing I can think of that would have a circuit board would be an A=
lronix aux power supply and/or s siren driver or two.

And how about the battery shelf? Ever use that?=20
I'm presuming you don't put the alarm panel or PCB in the ELK box (?)

How about screw terminal blocks? I like to bring back as many individual wi=
res to the main box as I can and then consolidate a number of openings at a=
 terminal block into a single pair that then goes to the panel or EZM Zone.=
 =20
On smaller jobs this might amount to a couple of terminal blocks but on thi=
s job I have to anticipate (blank) number of possible future zones as the s=
ystem grows. Of course the terminal blocks being labeled/documented makes f=
or real easy trouble shooting.=20

On the other hand since I'm pretty sure I'll be retired before this system =
ever needs any substantial service, I could just splice everything with bea=
nies and use number tags and leave it for the next guy to figure out. :-)

Naaaah! I wouldn't even do that to you. :->

Anyway, I know Molex has got a lot of terminal choices =3D=3D=3D you have a=
ny other ideas?