Re: Check in

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:05:27 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 4/4/2020 4:47 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > Hey!
> >=20
> > How's everybody doing?
> >=20
> > How about a periodic check-in just to let each other know how we're doi=
ng
> >=20
> > I've just stopped working as of Friday and will probably not go out exc=
ept for necessary reasons.
> >=20
> > New York is a hot spot and it's getting real scary here.
> >=20
> > I don't know anyone personally who's caught the virus but statistics ar=
e going up and up all around me.
> >=20
>=20
> Ok, it has been almost a week and a half since the last funny
> story and I am guessing it is time for a "Check In".
>=20
> So I will be the first to say Hello to all!!!
>=20
> Things here are still "NUTS"!!  Friday I did my VERY FIRST EVER, Very=20
> First Ever replacement of a concealed panic hardware on a full glass
> aluminum entrance door.  The hard part came when the bottom rod was
> longer than the top and I could not remove up the door.  That is when
> I realized that the door was going to have to be removed from the
> frame at the hinges.  There was nobody helping me.  There was
> nobody at the store.  All alone was I!! At the point I was at, there
> was no going back.  I had to do this myself............  Had to
> prep the area where to place the door on the sidewalk. Used some wire
> boxes from the van to support the door.  Then I started to remove the
> hinge screws.  The fist Phillips Head screw was already stripped,=20
> impossible to remove, had to drill out the screw.  Aggggggg!!!
>=20
> Finally got all the hinge screws out and then............ I then
> realize that the door was VERY VERY heavy.  All the time I am
> thinking....... Don't break the glass.........................
>=20
> After assembly and re-mounting all was good.  Oh Yea!!  Had to
> go to local hardware store to get new hinge screws.  #12-24!!!
> Fortunately they had the flat head screws but not Philips Head.
> I was TOLD while looking for the screws that my red bandanna needed
> be over my nose............  It fogs my glasses and I can't see!!
> Oh, I forgot to mention I was the ONLY customer in the building!!
>=20
>=20
> Anyhow, the door is good and I am quite pleased with the completed
> task!!  I will be more pleased when the invoice is paid.
>=20
> I can now add "Door Repair Fixer Upper" to my resume'.
>=20
> That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!  :-)
>=20
> Hope all you's are doing as well as possible and everybody is
> being safe a you can.
>=20
> Be advised that everything you hear today will be different tomorrow.
>=20
> Les

Hi Les,=20

Sounds like you had a "fun" time with that door.

I've been working in mostly new construction. I've been arriving on the job=
 about 3PM. If there are any other trades that have been working they usual=
ly leave about that time. I'll then work till anywhere around 8/9/10 PM dep=
ending if I can complete a task or not. I've got several jobs that I've sus=
pended because they're inside of peoples homes and since everyone is home, =
I'm not going to spend the day working with a mask and gloves. They've all =
agreed that's it's best to wait until this is over. I'll be going to a doct=
ors office tomorrow since it's closed and adding a new camera to an existin=
g system and adding a new TV in another exam room. I guess that's a new tre=
nd. I've got a few doctors offices and they all have TV's in their exam roo=
ms. I guess my personal health insurance isn't too good because none of the=
 doctors I go to have TV's in their exam rooms. I just get to look at the a=
natomy posters on the wall.=20

Today, I'll be starting to set up the board in the utility room in a 60,000=
 square foot building one of my customers just bought and is going to move =
into in about a year. I want to mount some empty boxes that will be used to=
 house zone expansion modules and terminal blocks in the future as zones ar=
e added. I'll be using the Napco 255 zone panel. I have to figure out how I=
'm going to route the cables between boxes. I'll be mounting 3 additional b=
oxes. I have a lot of spare metal boxes from panels I've pulled out so I th=
ought I'd recycle them. But typical metal alarm boxes only have one inch kn=
ockouts so I'm figuring I'll have to punch some bigger holes and use some k=
ind of fitting. but haven't decided yet on PVC ? , metal conduit ? Flex tub=
ing ? I don't know yet.

I'm thinking mounting the 4 boxes in a square with two big conduits from ea=
ch box to each of the other boxes. Don't forget, I have the potential of 25=
5 zones and I'm running at the least 22 gage 4 wire and I've already had to=
 run 8 eight conductor 18 gage wires to the far end of the building for key=
pads with EZM zones. I didn't want the voltage drop to be a problem. Keypad=
s draw 100ma. From those keypad, I'll be using the EZM zones for some tempo=
rary security as they move their wood shop machinery from their present bui=
lding to this new building.=20

Anyone got any suggestions ?