Re: Heard From An Old ASAer Today

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 6:43:22 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
.
>=20
> Yes, Lots of memories. I was DC Damage Control, Firefighter, Wood Shop,=
=20
> R-Division (Repair).  While in the Wood Shop I got constant request for
> Cruise Boxes for Officers leaving the ship for other duties.  Cruise=20
> Boxes were a 1/2" plywood boxes about 32"L x 18"W x 18"H, Piano Hinge=20
> top with Handles on the end and Hasp & Hinge for locking.  I would flame
> burn the surfaces to make the grain pop and the shellac the whole thing.
> It was primarily for Officers, except the "special" one that I had=20
> shipped home to Pennsylvania from Japan.
>=20
> I also, made plaques with various plaster and bronze plates of the ships=
=20
> seal and Etched labels that were given to various visiting dignitaries=20
> and guest.  The plaster cast of the ships seal had to be hand painted.
> I also came up with my own plaque design that got approved by the=20
> Captain for production.
>=20
> Then I became the Supply Petty Officer for the Division since the=20
> previous guy got discharged.  His books were terrible.  Was an absolute
> challenge trying to keep thing right.  Things showed up with no
> paper trail.  It was very frustrating trying to figure it all out.
> Then one morning I went to my office and the books were gone.  I looked
> everywhere.  I was pissed.  Finally had to go and make a report to the=20
> Lieutenant.  I explained that all the books were gone, and I looked ever=
=20
> where.  He said, "Well you will have to start over, go Supply Dept. and=
=20
> requisition a new set."  That is when it hit me!!  I could start FRESH!!=
=20
>   Clean Slate!!  Lay out the books my way, like they should be... COOL!!!
> I was very HAPPY!!  And it showed with the smile on my face :-)
>=20
> About two weeks later I woke up in the more and got dressed.  When I put
> my shoes on some thing did not feel right.  I pulled my foot out and=20
> somebody "literally" had S**T in my shoes.  Aghhhhhhhh!!!!  Stripped
> down and took another shower.  Put on my Dress "Spit Shined" Shoes.  The
> old shoes will sleep with the fishes in the South China Sea.  Went to my
> office and requisitioned a new pair of shoes.  Had no clue who had done
> this.
>=20
> About a month later I found out.  Another guy in the Division was=20
> discharged and went home.  That is when the other guys told me what was=
=20
> going on.  Apparently, this guy did not like me for some reason and
> wanted to make my days a pure hell.  So he threw my books over the side
> one night while he was on the 12-4 watch.  When he realized that the
> [...]

That story reminded me of another.

As you can tell from my other story, there was a lot of drinking going on o=
n that island I was stationed. Main reason was, you could get a quart of vo=
dka from the ships store for $3.50.=20

Anyway, people were always doing bizarre things. We slept in cubicles with =
four bunks. One night I wake up with yelling going on in the cubicle. There=
's a sailor standing over a bunk taking a leak on the guy in the bunk. The =
guy in the bunk wakes up yelling "Hey What the hell are you doing?" The guy=
 taking a leak says "OH I'm shrorry. I tho eyoo were shomone else" and stag=
gers out of the cubicle.=20

We never figured out who he thought he was pissing on.