Re: Heard From An Old ASAer Today

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 10:24:57 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>=20
> Jim,
> Not even going to try an top that.  Not possible.
> My USN adventure was to be stationed on the 1st Fleet Flag ship out of
> San Diego.  The deployed to the Yokosuka, Japan and took over the Flag
> Ship for the 7th Fleet.  USS Providence CLG-6 with a compliment of 1000
> guys along with Marine Detachment for security.  Where ever the Admiral
> wanted to go, we went.  We went to ports in the Pacific that hadn't seen
> a US ship since WWII. We were off the coast of Nam doing shore
> bombardment............... a lot.  Once North of the DMZ we got into the
> cross hairs of a gun that rolled out on the beach.  Got hit by one shell
> that took out our surface radar scanner.  One month we were on line
> lobbing shells until 4am on the 1st of the month so that the whole crew
> could get Hazardous Duty Pay for the month, because were were not
> scheduled back until the following month.  A grand total of $60 extra
> for the months pay.  Crossed the equator in the South Pacific after a
> visit to Singapore and Kawala Lumpor, Malaysa.  Took a weeks leave with
> another guy and went to Tokyo.  Got lucky and took a tour of the
> Emperor's Palace.
>=20
> About 2 years ago I requested my Military Records.  I read my medical
> records and Evaluation Reports.  Especially one that was dated May 1967.
> In it my Lieutenant that said that I had no initiative and lack of
> interest, etc., etc.  Really a put down.  I thought WTF??  Then I looked
> at the DATE, I was discharged 3 weeks later from Japan and went home.
>=20
> Well Duhhh!!!  He thought I should have taken the $2000 bonus and
> shipped over for another 6 years............ well NOOOOOOO!!!
>=20
> Returned to Treasure Island, CA where I was discharged.  I was given a
> check for $330 to buy a one-way plane ticket to Philadelphia.  I turned
> it into Travelers Checks and used my thumb to get hope to Pennsylvania.
> It took me 3 days and $20.75.  Biggest mistake of my life.  I got some
> really good long rides.  I should have turned around and made a left or
> a right turn along the way and made the trip last 30 days or so.
>=20
> I have been kicking myself ever since.  Even so it was quite the
> adventure.  I would do it again if I was a lot younger........
> Missed opportunities always hurt.
>=20
> So that's my condensed story, and I am sticking to IT.
>=20
> Have a good week.
>=20
> Les

Even though I was on a three year holiday in paradise I always thought that=
 I would have liked to do what you did. I'm thinking that if I had been sta=
tioned on a ship I just might have shipped over again.=20

Reading your adventure I remembered another stroke of luck I had. I slid th=
ough my enlistment right between Laos and Viet Nam. There were no conflicts=
 going on while I was in.  When my enlistment was up I checked in with the =
Executive Officer to see if I could ship over and stay on the island. With =
our specialized training we were entitled to stay in the Sub Sonar detectio=
n system but he said he could only guarantee 18 months. Knowing the Navy, I=
 figured that some Yeoman up in COMSERVLANT would see where I was for the l=
ast 3 years and send me up to Nova Scotia for the rest of my tour. So, I op=
ted out.=20

On the way home on the plane I met a sweet young thing that was heading for=
 Newark New Jersey. She was a recruiter for a brand new TV station that was=
 just starting up and they needed people trained in communication electroni=
cs. I made a date to go and meet up with her and also apply for a job but s=
omehow, I never did. ( I guess it was more about the girl then the Job :-))=
=20

The kicker is =E2=80=A6. as it turned out, the TV station was WNET channel =
13 that was just starting up as a public broadcasting station and which eve=
ntually became PBS. Who knows, I cuda been a contender !!! (to Quote Marlon=
 Brando). or even a xekuative.