Re: Heard From An Old ASAer Today

On 10/23/2018 12:15 AM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 10:24:57 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>>
>> Jim,
>> Not even going to try an top that.  Not possible.
>> My USN adventure was to be stationed on the 1st Fleet Flag ship out of
>> San Diego.  The deployed to the Yokosuka, Japan and took over the Flag
>> Ship for the 7th Fleet.  USS Providence CLG-6 with a compliment of 1000
>> guys along with Marine Detachment for security.  Where ever the Admiral
>> wanted to go, we went.  We went to ports in the Pacific that hadn't seen
>> a US ship since WWII. We were off the coast of Nam doing shore
>> bombardment............... a lot.  Once North of the DMZ we got into the
>> cross hairs of a gun that rolled out on the beach.  Got hit by one shell
>> that took out our surface radar scanner.  One month we were on line
>> lobbing shells until 4am on the 1st of the month so that the whole crew
>> could get Hazardous Duty Pay for the month, because were were not
>> scheduled back until the following month.  A grand total of $60 extra
>> for the months pay.  Crossed the equator in the South Pacific after a
>> visit to Singapore and Kawala Lumpor, Malaysa.  Took a weeks leave with
>> another guy and went to Tokyo.  Got lucky and took a tour of the
>> Emperor's Palace.
>>
>> About 2 years ago I requested my Military Records.  I read my medical
>> records and Evaluation Reports.  Especially one that was dated May 1967.
>> In it my Lieutenant that said that I had no initiative and lack of
>> interest, etc., etc.  Really a put down.  I thought WTF??  Then I looked
>> at the DATE, I was discharged 3 weeks later from Japan and went home.
>>
>> Well Duhhh!!!  He thought I should have taken the $2000 bonus and
>> shipped over for another 6 years............ well NOOOOOOO!!!
>>
>> Returned to Treasure Island, CA where I was discharged.  I was given a
>> check for $330 to buy a one-way plane ticket to Philadelphia.  I turned
>> it into Travelers Checks and used my thumb to get hope to Pennsylvania.
>> It took me 3 days and $20.75.  Biggest mistake of my life.  I got some
>> really good long rides.  I should have turned around and made a left or
>> a right turn along the way and made the trip last 30 days or so.
>>
>> I have been kicking myself ever since.  Even so it was quite the
>> adventure.  I would do it again if I was a lot younger........
>> Missed opportunities always hurt.
>>
>> So that's my condensed story, and I am sticking to IT.
>>
>> Have a good week.
>>
>> Les
>
> Even though I was on a three year holiday in paradise I always thought that I would have liked to do what you did. I'm thinking that if I had been stationed on a ship I just might have shipped over again.

> [...]

Well it seems that "we" have snagged Bob's post a bit.  Sorry Bob!!

Shoulda Woulda Coulda as it's said "Hindsight is always 20/20".

If I woulda shipped over I woulda stayed on board and finished the
cruise.  And I coulda have been on the trip home adn I would have
enjoyed New Zealand, Perth, Sydney, Tahiti, Tasmania,and Guam as well as
some others.  For those geo-challenged that would be cruise around
Australia just to get home to San Diego, CA USA.  I missed all of that.
It might have be different if I could have shipped over till the end of
the cruise.  I would have made 2nd Class PO or maybe even 1st Class. And
I might not have received a bad review by my Lieutenant.  LOL
I will never know.......................

Anyhow, all past memories.   Thanks for bringing them back.

Les