Re: Heard From An Old ASAer Today

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 10:56:45 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

>=20
> Well it seems that "we" have snagged Bob's post a bit.  Sorry Bob!!
>=20
> Shoulda Woulda Coulda as it's said "Hindsight is always 20/20".
>=20
> If I woulda shipped over I woulda stayed on board and finished the
> cruise.  And I coulda have been on the trip home adn I would have=20
> enjoyed New Zealand, Perth, Sydney, Tahiti, Tasmania,and Guam as well as=
=20
> some others.  For those geo-challenged that would be cruise around=20
> Australia just to get home to San Diego, CA USA.  I missed all of that.=
=20
> It might have be different if I could have shipped over till the end of=
=20
> the cruise.  I would have made 2nd Class PO or maybe even 1st Class. And
> I might not have received a bad review by my Lieutenant.  LOL
> I will never know.......................
>=20
> Anyhow, all past memories.   Thanks for bringing them back.
>=20
> Les

Same here. I passed the test for 2nd Class PO but didn't stay in long enoug=
h to actually get the stripe.=20

A Couple of weeks ago, I was cleaning out some drawers and came across my b=
oot camp company picture. Lots of the guys wrote things on the back. I was =
surprised how many of them I remembered. I got a kick out of a lot of them =
calling me "Elvis". I was pretty popular with both the northerners and sout=
herners. Even though I was from NY and liked to play R&R, I had learned to =
play from someone who liked and played country western so I knew a lot of c=
ountry songs too. That was the age of Doo Wop so we did a lot of singing in=
 the head to get the reverb. Boy what memories. Believe it or not, I still =
had my packed sea bag up in my parents attic until a couple of years ago. 1=
3 button tailor mades and all. Of course the 32 inch waist line sort of pre=
vented any hope of ever wearing them again. I've got a stenciled white hat =
someone around too. I donate to the Navy Memorial down in DC every now and =
then too. Bought a bronze copy of the Lone Sailor statue which sits on my s=
helf. One of these days I'll get down to DC and see the real thing. They sa=
y the memorial records is a good place to see if you can get in touch with =
some of your shipmates.