Re: tech-man.com ???

Bob La Londe Wrote:=20

>"Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message=20

>>> Yes, that is my understanding too. I can also understand why he =
doesn`t=20
>>> bother to unlock boards anymore; it simply is too labour intensive to=
=20
>>> make it worthwhile. I gave it up a year or so ago, and also no longer=
 do=20
>>> it for other than local companies or our own company, to assist. With=
=20
>>> boards so cheap now, it simply doesnt make sense to spend half the =
price=20
>>> of a new board to unlock an old one.
>>
>> Well we've all always agreed that ethically alarm companies should =
unlock=20
>> their former clients boards but that's why it's never been a big deal =
if=20
>> an alarm company did lock out a board.
>>
>> It's just a minor inconvenience and cost to change it out and after =
awhile=20
>> it's just routine. If you're going to do a takeover ..... just bring a=
=20
>> board with you.
>

>Not for a tech who doesn't want to take the time to learn all the=20
>programming ins and outs of a control panel for a single takeover.

It hardly seems worth the effort to learn a new (old) panel that you'll =
never
install yourself as new.  I never bothered to hand program Napco's for =
that
reason.  I learned (and subsequently forgot) how to change the dialer =
number
and user codes via keypad and that's it.

Not to rag on Napco, but even their dealers admit programming by hand is
essentially impossible to get right.