Re: tech-man.com ???

news:5215e90a-4523-4758-aaab-293e7098c9e9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 2:37:38 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "G. Morgan" <sealteam6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>

>> > Not to rag on Napco, but even their dealers admit programming by hand
>> > is
>> > essentially impossible to get right.
>>

>> I can address program quickly enough at the keypad with a manual in hand.
>> don't have them memorized like I did with the old FBII panels because I
>> learned how much better they program with a laptop.  If you want simple
>> there is a "quick" program menu, and you can't beat a P801 for simplicity
>> in
>> keypad programming.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> Bob La Londe
>
> Who WANT's to program ANY panel by hand except those who are so inept at
> using a laptop and/or only want to install the simplest equipment covering
> 2 doors and a motion detector type jobs. Even though Napco has addressed
> that market with the lower 800 series panels,( and you can't get any
> simpler than 10 minutes to program a basic panel) the lowest I've ever
> gone is the 816 because it's the lowest panel that can be downloaded
> locally with a laptop.
>
> If you want a versatile panel, the Napco Gemini 1632 is a good all around
> workhorse. I've installed hundreds with no ....  in the field failures.
> And it's in a real metal cabinet instead of a tin can and the PC boards
> aren't made of compressed mud.
>
> I agree that it's not the easiest programming to learn but it's just that
> programming that allows them to provide .... if not the MOST versatile
> programming ... it's at the least at the very top. As I mentioned, I've
> only ever seen the HAI panels that had more programming options.  I find
> that it's the  ahhhh shall I say ..... "technically challenged" installers
> that don't like them as they never offer their clients any of the
> advantages of specialized programming and always only offer nothing but a
> rudimentary system either because they don't want to take the time or they
> don't or can't learn how to do the more intricate programming. I like
> having the opportunity of being able to offer my clients anything that
> they want .... either now or in the future.
>
> Right now I'm involved with a client who has almost doubled the size of
> his home (which was already huge) where I had installed a 9600 years ago.
> Now not only can I add all the zones he needs (no big deal) but I can
> provide him with the partitioning, event scheduling, integration of
> emergency lighting, vacation arming, access control,  and a half dozen
> other features that would be much more difficult to provide with other
> panels without using a module for each feature or separate controllers.
> All I need is a relay panel and there's nothing that he's asked for so far
> that I can't give him plus the features I've made available to him.  Add
> [...]

Actually the P801 usually programs an order of magnitude faster than that.
Its easy. I mean dead easy with mostly visible on off indicators except for
the phone and account numbers and rf addresses. If you go thru the program
sheet first and mark it off the panel takes less than 2 minutes to actually
program. I do wish they had laptop programming with the PCI mini, but to be
be fair except for retrieving the log you don't need it. It takes longer to
go get the laptop out of the truck than to just program it. I usually use
the P1632 these days though even in small environments because the customers
seem to like the display keypads better than the ones for the P800/801.

The P1632 is also my main workhorse, but I would rarely consider a 3200 or
9600 anymore. Instead I ususally jump right to the X255 with its massive
capability.

I do have one gripe about Napco expandability though. In general you might
be "able" to run a bunch of keypad devices and zone expanders its not a nice
linear expansion with increased current capacity and horn output like the
CaddX NX8. I actually considered switching to Caddx for that reason, but
then they sold out.

Bob La Londe
The Security Consultant
Licenses ROC103044 & ROC103047