Re: Envisalink monitoring satisfaction?

Jim Wrote:

>Oh, and one more thing. Take a look at some of the DIY help websites.
>
>By far, the most popular panels ..... by the thousands .....  in the hands of DIY'ers on EVERY DIY help web site is ... yep ...... DSC  .... with Honeywell a close second.
>
>In return, please tell me how much loyalty do you think they actually deserve ?????

I can't comment on DSC since I have not touched their stuff in 10 years.
I assume they are worse than ever, they were bad when I quit dealing with
them so long ago.

In fairness to Honeywell, at least they take a stance about not helping
end-users with installation issues.  Its been a while since I've called
support, but they would always ask my name and company before assisting
and keep a record of how often I called. You're right about end-user
installation manuals too - they are not "dumbed-down" for the masses like
a Home Depot sold DIY system might be.  Alarmnet radios have to be
programmed with proprietary programmers, or OTA (not something an
end-user can initiate).

The problem I see is online outlets selling professional parts to DIY'ers
*and* offering cheap monitoring.  No competent technician has inspected
the system, now online, and it's capable of summoning emergency response
to any location (even an incorrect location if the account number is
wrong!).  No one checks to make sure the appropriate signal is programmed
for the device(s).  If a smoke detector trips; it may send a trouble,
supervisory, or burglary signal.  That's a mistake that could be deadly
and not caught until its way too late.

I think there should be a national standard that all local responders
adopt which states that no emergency response will be summoned unless the
system has been certified by a competent & licensed company.  That
certifying company *should* be in a contract with the monitoring company
to complete the liability chain.  The monitoring company should (shall)
require the DIY'er to undergo re-certification every time programming
mode is entered.  I suppose a remote panel connection would be good
enough for that, after the initial physical inspection.  Also, require
periodic (annual?) physical inspections for DIY installed & monitored
systems.

I guess you've seen the TV commercials for SimpliSafe
http://simplisafe.com/ .   It shows the DIY'er 'mounting' a PIR by
placing it on his fireplace mantle!  WTF?  I almost spit out a mouthful
of coffee when I saw that.

--

¯\_(?)_/¯