Re: Envisalink monitoring satisfaction?

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 10:08:32 AM UTC-5, tourman wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:24:44 PM UTC-5, Starpilot wrote:
> > I am considering Envisalink monitoring. =20
> > They are reasonably priced, UL certified and appear to be a viable opti=
on.
> > Has anyone used them or heard of someone who has?  And would you recomm=
end them?
> >=20
> > Thank you for your thoughts.
>=20
> Yes, we use this device for DSC panels in our business, although to use t=
hem with other than the designated monitoring station, they must be unlocke=
d by paying EyeON an unlocking fee. If you do use this device, make sure yo=
ur router/modem is a quality product, and that you buy a separate UPS for t=
he modem and router. Note that these cannot be used with the newer DSC NEO =
series panels; DSC has encrypted the keybus in a typical self serving fashi=
on to keep third party applications from being useable with this line of pa=
nels[I hope they learn they cant be doing this kind of selfish, self servin=
g thing if they ever plan to be part of the Internet of Things in the futur=
e....]. This is being done to force installing companies to give up some of=
 the RMR that normally would go to the end dealer....]although I'm sure the=
y have some other excuse.
>=20
> Bottom line, it's a good device, but difficult for an end user to set up =
properly without a measure of experience with it....

I've been on a search for products similar to the Envisalink that are compa=
tible with other alarm panels. This whole new "intrusion" of alarm equipmen=
t manufacturers on the RMR business of installation companies has really go=
t me pissed off.=20

There is no reason in the world why the company that I buy my equipment fro=
m has to intrude upon my income stream that I've worked for with my clients=
. Any alarm panel will do anything that any other alarm panel can do so the=
re's no exclusivity of functions as far as any particular manufacturer goes=
. So they think by providing these chargeable services they can lock in the=
 people who use their products.=20

The closed circuit TV camera manufacturers can provide servers at no charge=
 (Yes, I realize they include it in their pricing) so there's no reason why=
 alarm equipment manufacturers have to charge the fees that they do just to=
 "forward" information to a central station. Yeah, yeah, I know, Control 4 =
and all these other "service providers" charge their fees but for the alarm=
 manufacturers to jump on the same band wagon and charge the companies who =
have been loyal to them for years, what I consider exorbitant pricing for m=
inuscule service ..... just because "they can" is just too much for me to a=
ccept.=20

There are ways around it and as time allows I'll be experimenting with some=
 of the "other" technology that will circumvent them. The Envisalink is a t=
hird party device that works with DSC and Honeywell. There are other device=
s that work with other manufacturers and as time will tell, I think that th=
ese opportunist alarm equipment manufacturers will not be as happy as they =
think they'll be in the future.=20

These manufacturers are still living in the past where every new idea was c=
onnected to an exclusive "franchise" or "dealership" So they think they can=
 make their products "exclusive"  That only works for the dummies who can't=
 make it on their own and depends on the turnover of people who try it and =
fail and a constant supply of new dummies to take their place.

 Today, we live in too dynamic a technological age ..... There's and App fo=
r everything and a device that can do whatever it is that you want to do an=
d   .... the Internet of Things is directed towards the end users not profe=
ssional installation companies. You would think the alarm manufacturers wou=
ld be providing installers with ways to offer similar or better capabilitie=
s to their clients at lower prices rather than providing them with the same=
 things at the same prices that they can get by doing it themselves or goin=
g with the mega companies.=20

As long as I've been in this trade it seems the manufacturers are always a =
day late and a dollar short.