Re: Good wireless home security camera systems?

> FYI:  There are in between offerings, but you will have to buy them and
> see if they are "good enough" for you.  Most of the stuff out there.
> Even the cheap crap meets its minimum brags initially out of the box.
> Personally I would suggest you buy from somebody who has a liberal

There are a few stores that does like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.

> return policy, and test it right out of the box as soon as you get it.
> Night vision claims are almost always over stated.  Basically they seem
> to rate them indoors in a room with highly IR reflective surfaces and
> call the range at the maximum range it can see "something."  If you are
> looking for cheap stuff consider all their claims in the same light.
> Pun intended.

Yeah, they tend want to want the consumer products that are cheaper that
they saw in stores and online.

> I do have wireless stuff  ( Not IP and not cheap ) shooting several
> miles with years of continuous reliability.  I also have a few
> inexpensive standalone (SD card memory) wireless IP cameras in my shop
> for testing. They still need to get power from somewhere.  JP Morgan

Are these the battery stand alone cameras with their SD memory cards
inside? How well and long do they work? I assume SD memory cards don't
hold much like regular HDDs? I wonder if these will be better for my client.

> shut Tesla down on his free power broadcast through the air a very long
> time ago.  The wifi works ok... but a couple of them seem to need to be
> power cycled periodically to keep talking to the network.  If you want

Heh, like many products (e.g., DVRs). :O

> to play and tweak they MIGHT be fine for you, and they might not.  Also,
> range is limited. Inside my 3000 sq ft metal warehouse they work ok, but
> outside they get ZERO (0) connectivity.  Also, atleast one with a PTZ

FYI, this big house is about 4K sq. ft. I did notice the wireless
router's signals are weak in the kitchen and other far away rooms.

> setup seems to drift.  The camera doesn't move on its own, but when you
> call up programmed locations they are a little off from where you
> programmed them.  I've found its easiest to go out and move the camera
> on its mount to bring them all back in alignment.

None of them move like automatic or manually? That can be annoying. This
could be useful on wireless network to see how they look though.

> Pay your nickle and take your chances.

Yeah, we are researching first before buying anything. And yes, be able
to return if these products suck. ;)
--
"Why would you want a glow in the dark ant farm?" --Leonard; "They do
some of their best work at night." --Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory