Re: Good wireless home security camera systems?

"Ant" <ANTant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Does anyone know of good wireless (no cabling!) networked home security
> camera systems that doesn't require a subscription and phone
> home/another company (e.g., clouds on someone else's servers) and want
> to record at a big home, hidden. Also, do not want the included wireless
> routers like Netgear's Arlo. I just want to add to the current network
> setups and have good security.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

< Obnoxious ascii scribblings snipped. >

I have over the years often had customers come to me and say, "I can get
this or that el-cheapo product and its just as good as a 'professional'
product," many times.  I have often purchased one for evaluation.  Tenvis
PTZ IP cameras.  Early MACE DVRs.  Cheap PC DVR cards.  Lipstick Cameras.
Etc etc etc..... Almost NEVER have they been something I am willing to sell
and stand behind.  Don't get me wrong.  Most of them work to some degree,
and I even still have a few in service around my building from when they
went up.  The problem is I just don't want to have to do a dozen FREE
service calls for a guy who was to cheap to buy decent stuff in the first
place when it doesn't live up to his expectations.  If you want to try it
then try it.  It might be satisfactory for you, but don't expect me to
recommend it and have my name associated with it.

FYI:  There are in between offerings, but you will have to buy them and see
if they are "good enough" for you.  Most of the stuff out there.  Even the
cheap crap meets its minimum brags initially out of the box.  Personally I
would suggest you buy from somebody who has a liberal return policy, and
test it right out of the box as soon as you get it.  Night vision claims are
almost always over stated.  Basically they seem to rate them indoors in a
room with highly IR reflective surfaces and call the range at the maximum
range it can see "something."  If you are looking for cheap stuff consider
all their claims in the same light.  Pun intended.

I do have wireless stuff  ( Not IP and not cheap ) shooting several miles
with years of continuous reliability.  I also have a few inexpensive
standalone (SD card memory) wireless IP cameras in my shop for testing.
They still need to get power from somewhere.  JP Morgan shut Tesla down on
his free power broadcast through the air a very long time ago.  The wifi
works ok... but a couple of them seem to need to be power cycled
periodically to keep talking to the network.  If you want to play and tweak
they MIGHT be fine for you, and they might not.  Also, range is limited.
Inside my 3000 sq ft metal warehouse they work ok, but outside they get ZERO
(0) connectivity.  Also, atleast one with a PTZ setup seems to drift.  The
camera doesn't move on its own, but when you call up programmed locations
they are a little off from where you programmed them.  I've found its
easiest to go out and move the camera on its mount to bring them all back in
alignment.

Pay your nickle and take your chances.