Re: Long Runs - CCTV

I haven't had the need (yet)
But  I'd go with  Les on this one
Use  Fiber
I have a retail friend locally  who runs fiber from his house to his store
that?s inside then outside then back inside..
He transmits video, data and packet phone all on the same fiber..
Only problem  I know about was him putting the ends on for the
modulator/demodulators.
(hes's also under the footprint of several RF transmitters,  no problem with
fiber)

RTS

"ABLE1"  wrote in message news:ihK7y.381172$C67.252187@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/2/2015 1:08 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Back in the day we all had to deal with the 750' limit.  We all knew we
> could push it further, but if we wanted to "know" it was good we made sure
> it was close to max for runs.  I special ordered 95% Cu RG-6 and was able
> run 1000' and for black and white cameras there are some I nstalled at
> nearly 1500' on that coax.
>
> Then along came twisted pair and amplified twisted pair baluns that cdould
> push composite video a couple miles.  With RF links (some) you could push
> composite video several miles.
>
> Now we have to take a step back.  318' limit (100 meters) with IP cameras.
> We can stretch that a little, but that's the magic number for ethernet.
> Its
> not the signals won't travel further.  Its that the timing is all off if
> you
> stretch it to far.  Multi Megapixel IP cameras are the bees knees.  The
> cats
> meow.  Bob's pre marriage dating history.  Whatever.  LOL.  How are you
> dealing with those long runs?  Its not always practical throw POE switches
> up all over the place as repeaters either.  I work on facilities routinely
> with runs of 500-700 feet, and one old install I did ages ago with
> oversize
> coax had a couple runs approaching 1500'.
>
> What is the answer.  I push POE IP cameras often now because of the price
> features ratio and the ease of installation (nearly PnP), but how are you
> dealing with distance issues?

Bob,

I personally to date have not had to deal with it.  However, if I did or
was going to, I would treat it as computer network. (which it is)
Install Data Switches as hubs. The place your PoE switch or utilize a
local Power Supply near the camera.

Something else I would consider depending on a number of factors would
be to use Fiber.  Placing a Ethernet to Fiber module at each end can
transmit the video data long distances.  It would depend on number of
cameras and the budget.

Again, never had to.................... yet.

Hope that helps.

BTW if you are not already a member, this forum can be a help sometimes.
http://www.cctvforum.com/

Like any forum, you need to read between the lines at times.  But you
can glean out some good input and see other opinions that can point you
a direction that can help.

Hope that helps.

Les