Re: 3¢ Per Pound

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 2:46:55 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> In the past I've always had the vendor take care of my spent alarm=20
>=20
> batteries.  No return, but no headache either.  The last couple years I h=
ave=20
>=20
> not been able to do that so the pile is getting pretty big.  I stopped by=
 a=20
>=20
> local recycler and asked if they were interested in paying for them.  Yep=
.=20
>=20
> 3=EF=BF=BD per pound.  That won't pay for the fuel in my truck to take th=
em over=20
>=20
> there much less my time.  What got me was the guy was practically rubbing=
=20
>=20
> his hands and chortling when he told me 3=EF=BF=BD per pound.  So how do =
the rest of=20
>=20
> you guys get rid of your old batteries?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> There used to be a guy who would pickup car batteries listed on Craigslis=
t,=20
>=20
> but I haven't seen him on for a while.  Still, figured it couldn't hurt t=
o=20
>=20
> post an add to unload them on Craigslist see if one of the scrappers woul=
d=20
>=20
> be interested in them and would pickup.  Atleast if they pickup when they=
=20
>=20
> pay next to nothing it won't cost me money to dispose of them.

It's not a problem for me since I've got 4/5 distributors in my area. But I=
 just return the old batteries to the distributor where I picked up my part=
s.=20

Just a note, I seem to remember that it is part of the "recycling law"(?) t=
hat anyone who sells new batteries is required by law to take back old batt=
eries=20
( even if you didn't by them there) Lead doesn't get much return $ here eit=
her. I've got a few old car batteries sitting around for years now. Someday=
 I may take them to Costco or wherever. I pay a refundable $5.00 fee every =
time I buy a car battery but I never seem to get around to returning the ol=
d ones. I also don't cash in the soda bottles and cans. I just put them in =
the recycle can for trash pickup.