Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

On 11/27/2013 1:08 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
> The Daring Dufas wrote:

>>> I visited a few intrusion alarm shops today and the Bosch definitely
>>> has a LOCK code (that's what they called it) on the board.
>>>
>>> That super-secret lock code allows *only* them to program the circuit
>>> board.
>>>
>>> The owner of the home is never provided that lock code, I was told.
>>>
>>> Incredulously, I asked why, and they said it prevents burglaries.
>>>

>> You could probably purchase a DSC board and keypad to install in your
>> existing can, reusing the same wiring, switches and detectors. I think
>> there are several places on the web including eBay where you might get
>> one. I purchased a number of main boards only to install inside
>> generator transfer switches to monitor the generators. DSC makes pretty
>> good stuff. ^_^
>>
>> http://www.dsc.com/
>>
>> TDD
> Hi,
> Even if so, that kinda feature is very easy to hack. I used to retrieve
> code and save, load, copy, etc. on all kinda controllers. I am out of
> the loop now being retired but gained skill and knowledge is still in my
> brain. I often unbrick wireless routers for friends and neighbors
> using similar method. I use J-tag or serial connection to get inside the
> sick router for an example.

Well Tony, I've seen all sorts ways to get into routers and their
controllers but alarm systems usually have proprietary code and perhaps
on chip encryption. No doubt with your skill set you could get into one
of them and reset it but it's been many years since I've seen any
digital alarm system board that could be reset with a simple jumper. The
early digital alarm systems weren't that sophisticated and were easy for
someone with a modicum of electronics knowledge to reset because the
digital systems were a magical arcane conglomeration of parts that few
miscreants understood. Well, the crooks caught up and manufacturers have
had to keep pace. I think I have a few removed from service main panels
out on the porch and if you like, I could dig into them and list the
chip sets on the boards and you could tell me what you think. ^_^

TDD