Re: Z Wave

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:28:38 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> On Monday, April 29, 2013 8:00:07 PM UTC-4, NickMark wrote:
>=20
> > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:52:59 PM UTC-4, Jim wrote: > Anyone usin=
g any Z wave devices? Connect 24 etc etc??? > > > > Have a customer showing=
 some interest in remotely monitoring, controlling his home. New baby on th=
e way so now's the time to up-sell. I have been using the z wave with honey=
well total connect works well easy set up
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I don't use Honeywell and also I've got a real problem with these Mfg's t=
rying to get in on the recurring revenue wagon. Pisses me off that they fee=
l as if it's ok for them to take income away from the people who buy and pr=
omote their products.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> There are systems out there that use Z Wave Zigbe and other protocols tha=
t don't require having to pay the people that you're buy product from to pr=
ovide you with a service that doesn't have to be provided by anyone because=
 IT'S ALREADY FREE ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

I've dealt with Z-Wave for several years now

1. It's a service they offer, you'll find a lot of companies tend to charge=
 for that

2. So don't go Total Connect, you can have Z-Wave on a Honeywell system wit=
hout the remote access, it works fine locally

> But anyway ...... I'm just wondering how it compares to other powerline/R=
F protocols. Most other automation systems work most of the time but still =
have their little "quirks" and fits of occasionally requiring you to push t=
he on button again and sometimes again and then it doesn't happen for month=
s.=20

That's a joke right? There is no comparison, much more advanced than powerl=
ine crap.

> Do you have any Z wave in your home? I always try stuff in my home first =
and then I get to know it inside and out with all it's good ...... and bad =
features. I've been using Insteon for a number of years and it's beginning =
to fail to operate more and more frequently. I haven't called them (Insteon=
)  on it but I'm thinking it's time to try a newer technology. They just ke=
ep adding new components. I don't see any improvements in the transmission =
end of it.

There is a few quirks with Z-Wave

1. Range isn't super far at about 80 ft max, that is offset by it being a m=
esh network

2. Early lamp modules don't support beaming to other Z-Wave devices

3. When a Z-Wave mesh network is created it sticks to device routing like g=
lue which is a problem when a device is removed or moved, this is an issue =
that is fixed with the latest protocol revisions.

4. Like wireless sensors techs tend to throw them up expecting them to work=
 properly instead of really thinking things out