Re: PTZ info

news:89be7162-ade1-4660-abad-117dccb1b1b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On another CCTV job coming up, client is asking for PTZ camera. Last time
> I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago)  I needed multiple conductor
> cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can see now it's
> done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any information anyone has
> on how PTZ works nowdays.
> Two or four wire connection?
>
> What is the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do you need
> larger conductors for power because of the additional power requirements
> of the PTZ?
>
> What about control from the DVR locally and remotely via IPhone through
> the DVR? Are there different signal/format protocols? For instance, will
> one manufacturers PTZ camera work with any other manufacturers DVR or are
> is there no standard and you have to match DVR's and PTZ's ??
>
> If  using baluns can a single Cat5 handle video, power and PTZ?  I'm sure
> there are distance limitation also but nothing over 150 feet in this job.
>
> Anyone have any experience with "newer" PTZ?
>
> Thanks.

I pretty much use the Pelco Spectra Domes, but many are similar.  They use
either RS-RS 422 over a single twisted pair for control, or in some cases
(like Spectra Dome) they can have control over the same coax as the video.

Also, it depends on what you are integrating it with.  I use mostly
Dedicated Micros DVRs and they integrate nicely with Spectra Dome cameras
and have full control capability over twisted pair locally and by remote,
and 95% control over coaxitron.

Client software and web interface both give access to PTZ controls, but PTZ
control for this pair does not seem to be fully integrated in most of the
smart phone aps except one that is server subscription based.  I have not
fully tested the newest ap from DM as Robert Chou's Ip Cam Viewer Lite will
access DM and other brands of DVR, NVR, and IP camera making it more
flexible for many of my customers.

--
Bob La Londe

The Security Consultant