Re: PTZ info

On Monday, March 25, 2013 11:12:18 PM UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote:
Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's. I don't have a whole lot of conta=
ct with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms. One my boss=
 showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was pretty impress=
ed. Being IP - they are controlled from a computer. I'll see if I can rustl=
e up some info. I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire =
you have to run is a Cat-5E. I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's ar=
e POE but I think they are.

I still haven't been able to convince myself that I can sell a customer on =
the fact that they have to pay for a "IP license" just to use a CCTV camera=
. I'm guessing that larger companies would take the IP license in stride bu=
t the small commercial and residential jobs that I do .... I don't think th=
e client would go for it.=20

I'm beginning to do a little research on digital and HD cameras though. I'm=
 noticing that the CCTV distributors seem to be purposely making it very di=
fficult to differentiate between IP camers, Digital cameras and HD cameras.=
 With some of these companies you never know if they're using the terms int=
erchageably or not. I had an experience with the sales person with one on-l=
ine seller over the telephone who thought that there wasn't any difference =
between an IP camera and a Digital camera and was advertising one as the ot=
her. He "thought" that if it was Digital it was also IP, had no idea that y=
ou needed a license and I'm not too sure that he knew that you needed a NVR=
. Scary!!!!