Re: PTZ info

On 3/25/2013 9:36 PM, Jim wrote:
> On another CCTV job coming up, client is asking for PTZ camera. Last time I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago)  I needed multiple conductor cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can see now it's done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any information anyone has on how PTZ works nowdays.
> Two or four wire connection?
>
> What is the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do you need larger conductors for power because of the additional power requirements of the PTZ?
>
> What about control from the DVR locally and remotely via IPhone through the DVR? Are there different signal/format protocols? For instance, will one manufacturers PTZ camera work with any other manufacturers DVR or are is there no standard and you have to match DVR's and PTZ's ??
>
> If  using baluns can a single Cat5 handle video, power and PTZ?  I'm sure there are distance limitation also but nothing over 150 feet in this job.
>
> Anyone have any experience with "newer" PTZ?
>
> Thanks.

Our Company has been installing IP PTZ's.  I don't have a whole lot of
contact with them as I am pretty much pigeon holed into fire alarms.

One my boss showed me had the fastest movement I have ever seen - I was
pretty impressed.

Being IP - they are controlled from a computer.

I'll see if I can rustle up some info.

I think they're POE (Power Over Ethernet) so the only wire you have to
run is a Cat-5E.

I'm not a hundred percent certain the PTZ's are POE but I think they are.