Re: installer code for dsc 832

On Friday, October 31, 2003 3:00:36 PM UTC-4, AlarmReview wrote:
> >From: "Mark G."
>=20
> >the previous owner did not have any=20
> >commitment to the monitoring company;
> >that was confirmed prior to purchase.=20
> >and the alarm was included in the sale
> >(they showed me the receipts for when
> >they paid for it originally. there were no
> >rental agreements
>=20
> Mark, the unfortunate reality is, it's the previous owner who you legally=
 must
> go after.  They sold you a home with a security system that wasn't functi=
onal.=20
> The issues of what the previous homeowner did or didn't do with the alarm=
co is
> immaterial.  Once they included the alarm in the sale of the home AND the=
y led
> you to believe that you would have full access to the programming, they w=
ere
> the one's who didn't deliver on the promises in the sale of the house. =
=20
>=20
> > i didnt know this until after we moved in
> >(i wasnt familiar enough with this brand
> >system to know the difference at the
> >time; i changed a few codes and declared
> >victory)
>=20
> Didn't your home inspector check or contracted to inspect the system?  Th=
at
> should have include the access to the system.=20
>=20
> >and since i am not the one who=20
> >contracted the alarm company, their
> >position is that they dont owe me
> >anything.  their only obligation is to the
> >prior owners, and they are long gone.
>=20
> Yes, and No.  Since they and only they know the codes, they are obligated=
> provide that to you.  However, they can charge you for a regular service =
call.=20
> After all, you are not their client and the alarmco is not an indentured
> servant to that system.  Now a word of caution, since you now have altern=
atives
> (unlocking services) to using the alarmco, you would be a bit hard presse=
d to
> get a court to force them to provide you service.
>=20
> >btw, im a lawyer and know my rights,=20
>=20
> If you e-mail me, I would be happy to refer you to an attorney who has
> successfully (currently 100%) defended alarmcos from these types of claim=
s.  It
> appears to be based on the failure of the previous homeowner to turn over=
 the
> premise in the condition they promised.
>=20
> >in my humble opinion, however, this is
> >extortion by the alarm company.
>=20
> [...]

I have a similar problem, but it was my own alarm company that installed th=
e installer lockout without my express permission or knowledge. There was n=
o "Paper Contract" for services. The system was purchased 100% in advance. =
After 2 years of poor service from them, I cancelled out monitoring service=
....They refused to reset the codes without paying for an on site visit....=
Still waiting 8 years later....