Re: Portable work surface

On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:01:08 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 7:43 AM, JoeRaisin wrote: > I would like to have some sort o=
f portable work bench/table that I can > stow in my truck. > > My truck is =
a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend > above the cab=
. Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center > with one side ha=
ving shelves and tool bag storage and the other with > ladder hutches (8, 6=
 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space > for wire spools/boxes=
, equipment to be installed and other material > (really just open area abo=
ve the ladder hutch). > > I was looking at the black and decker workmate bu=
t it really isn't all > that compact when folded. > > Do any of you use som=
ething like that? The older I get the farther away > the ground gets and wo=
rking off a print laying on the cold concrete of a > commercial constructio=
n project is getting old. > > I've gone so far as to try and design somethi=
ng I could build myself but > since I don't weld or have the ability to sha=
pe metal (cut and drill, > sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can=
 figure out would still > be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I =
would have liked to > believe. > > If you have something proven I'd even be=
 willing to take it to a welder > - but I haven't done that with anything I=
've come up with as I don't > really want to put out the cash on spec. > > =
Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so > =
anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well. > >=
 If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those >=
 lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank > yo=
u as well. LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees... After r=
eading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany. I have one (and have h=
ad for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just=
 before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time. http:/=
/ds_product_photos.s3.amazonaws.com/large/24983.jpg

I know you're truck is all set up but here's some food for thought if you e=
ver change vehicles. I have a work van and ladder storage was always a prob=
lem for me because I didn't want to have to access ladders on a roof rack. =
So .... when I got my new van, I created a sub-floor in the van made out of=
 plywood and 2x8's. I split the sub-space in the middle with a 2x8 and have=
 two compartments to slide my ladders into (and also to support the top pie=
ce of plywood). Instead of getting regular size shelving ... mini van shelv=
ing fit just nice between the raised floor and the top of the van.=20

The biggest problem I have now is that I have to carry so many different ki=
nds of wire with me. Takes up all the space and really loads me down. Have =
to pull boxes out to get at things on the shelves. Have to figure out how t=
o compress my wire. Or ..... maybe I'll just retire.

Anyway, in the future, you might want to apply the same sub-floor idea to p=
roviding for a kind of pull-out table. A Piece of hinged plywood, couple of=
 light weight fold-up saw horses. etc.=20

Just a thought.