Portable work surface

I would like to have some sort of portable work bench/table that I can
stow in my truck.

My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend
above the cab.  Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center
with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with
ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space
for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material
(really just open area above the ladder hutch).

I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all
that compact when folded.

Do any of you use something like that?  The older I get the farther away
the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a
commercial construction project is getting old.

I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but
since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and drill,
sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still
be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to
believe.

If you have something proven I'd even be willing to take it to a welder
- but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't
really want to put out the cash on spec.

Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so
anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well.

If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those
lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank
you as well.