Re: Portable work surface

On 2/23/2013 9:46 PM, Jim wrote:
> On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:01:08 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
>> On 2/22/2013 7:43 AM, JoeRaisin wrote: > I would like to have some sort of portable work bench/table that I can > stow in my truck. > > My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend > above the cab. Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center > with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with > ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space > for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material > (really just open area above the ladder hutch). > > I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all > that compact when folded. > > Do any of you use something like that? The older I get the farther away > the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a > commercial construction project is getting old. > > I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but > since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and dri
ll, > sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still > be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to > believe. > > If you have something proven I'd even be willing to take it to a welder > - but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't > really want to put out the cash on spec. > > Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so > anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well. > > If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those > lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank > you as well. LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees... After reading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany. I have one (and have had for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time. http://ds_product_photos.s3.amazonaws.com/large/24
983.jpg

> I know you're truck is all set up but here's some food for thought if you ever change vehicles. I have a work van and ladder storage was always a problem for me because I didn't want to have to access ladders on a roof rack. So .... when I got my new van, I created a sub-floor in the van made out of plywood and 2x8's. I split the sub-space in the middle with a 2x8 and have two compartments to slide my ladders into (and also to support the top piece of plywood). Instead of getting regular size shelving ... mini van shelving fit just nice between the raised floor and the top of the van.
>
> The biggest problem I have now is that I have to carry so many different kinds of wire with me. Takes up all the space and really loads me down. Have to pull boxes out to get at things on the shelves. Have to figure out how to compress my wire. Or ..... maybe I'll just retire.
>
> Anyway, in the future, you might want to apply the same sub-floor idea to providing for a kind of pull-out table. A Piece of hinged plywood, couple of light weight fold-up saw horses. etc.
>
> Just a thought.

I call 'em 'ladder hutches' and have used them for a while.  When I had
the small truck I had a six and four footers side by side, now with this
truck I have on the driver's side half of the bed an eight footer laying
flat, a six footer above that also laying flat and a four footer on edge
against the divider.gives me a fairly open space on that side for wire
and equipment - though I never have enough space for camera jobs.

On top of the four foot hutch I have a 2ft tube, 4ft tube and 6ft tube
for fish sticks and drill bits.

The left side of the bed is shelves, drawers and milk crates.

When I get a new truck it's the first thing I do.  Been something of an
evolution as well.  The first one I built I used 2x6's and shaved them
down so the ladder juuust fit.  As soon as I started piling wire spools
and boxes on top I learned about how plywood will sag enough to make it
impossible to pull your ladder out, or push it in once you have managed
to wrestle it out.

I've always tried to avoid a full size van but lately I've been seeing
things a bit differently.  I've never before had a vehicle that could
take an eight footer inside and I've grown to really appreciate it.
It's nice having that sort of reach without having melting snow and ice
dripping everywhere.

On top I have a ten footer and usually and extension ladder, but right
now I am without an extension ladder and probably will be until I can't
avoid getting another.