Re: I singed up for Obamacare!

On Friday, December 6, 2013 11:51:57 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
> Jim Rojas Wrote:
>

> >Is it just me, but if you consider the annual deductibles which will
>
> >never decrease if no claims filed, and the undisclosed subsidies based
>
> >on income...Isn't this just another white collar welfare program
>
> >designed for the healthcare industry?
>

> I suppose you could look at it that way.  Instead I see it as a tax, and
>
> those least able to afford the new tax get the greatest tax subsidy.

Another name for redistribution of wealth. The people who work for the money get to pay for the ones who don't along with a 2 trillion dollar additional National Debt increase.

> >I don't see where the average family comes out the winner here, unless
>
> >they are hit with a catastrophic claim. And most times that is just a
>
> >one shot deal anyway if you die as a result.
>

> Well, I'll tell you from my own personal POV.  In 2013 I was able to buy
>
> insurance for the 1st time in years through the PCIP (Preexisting
>
> Condition Insurance Program) that is part of the AHA.  My premium is/was
>
> $249 for 2013 and that is based solely on age.
>

> My back is wreaked from years of crawling in attics and knee boarding, no
>
> insurance company would touch me.  I was "uninsurable".  Had this program
>
> not existed, I wouldn't have been able to afford my healthcare expenses
>
> this year.
>

> For 2014 I choose a zero deductible/$500 max out of pocket plan with Blue
>
> Cross as the carrier.  With all the tax write-offs I get, I qualify for a
>
> subsidy.  In fact, all you're asked to do is input your estimate of
>
> taxable income for 2014 during the sign-up.  I set mine very low, since
>
> I'm going to claim a lot of line-item expenses.
>

> Bottom line is my new premium is 23% less than the $249 I pay now.  Even
>
> if I didn't estimate any losses for taxable income, the plan cost is
>
> $430/mo. without subsidies.  Compare that to about $1500/mo. I got quoted
>
> for the last time I was eligible for COBRA.  And that's with a zero
>
> deductible and $500 max out of pocket.  My current plan is $2500
>
> deductible for medical, $700 drugs, and $6000 max O.O.P.  I'm just now
>
> meeting the deductible, as most stuff like office visits are covered for
>
> a $25 copay.

So because you weren't smart enough to buy insurance when you were young now you get people who have more money than you pay your way.

> >Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way...
>

> I think you are looking at it more pessimistically than me.  You
>
> mentioned in the group your wife has a pre-existing condition (hell, who
>
> over 40 doesn't?).  I don't know how different the costs vary from TX to
>
> FL but even if you don't qualify for any subsidy, a "gold" plan will save
>
> you both money if one or both of you needs monthly treatments of any
>
> kind.
>

> The key for this thing to work is everyone participating.

Yeah ..... sure. After I spend a lifetime "participating" and you didn't, now I get to pay my way and yours too.

>  Just as in
>
> Social Security, the young pay for the old.  If all the young ones opt to
>
> pay the fine, it will be a disaster.

We can only hope and pray.............

I gotta see how they're going to convince them to do that. Why didn't YOU think of that years ago? You could have helped others SOOOOOO much.

>  The numbers work when everyone is
>
> covered and pays premiums.  If you look at from the standpoint it's just
>
> like social security (which is a tax), it's not much different.

Social Security is a TAX?  Since when do I get my taxes back with interest? It's only a tax because the government has been raiding it and using it to subsidize it's outrageous handouts to the people who don't work.

> Definitely not corporate welfare for the insurance carriers, they were
>
> allowed to discriminate against me for years - no more.

Discriminate????   YOU were the one who didn't get the insurance when YOU were young. You waited until it was too late. How come YOU didn't "Contribute" and "Participate" like you say everyone should do now?