Re: Colorado shootings: Police ‘sure as hell’ angry at booby trap

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 06:10:57 -0500, G. Morgan <G_Morgan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Gunner Asch Wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 02:55:14 -0500, G. Morgan <G_Morgan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>[xposted to alt.security.alarms]

>>>True.  That's why I was very careful not to write 'bullets', but I still
>>>got blasted! <g>  I was also counting what other junk (nails, etc..) he
>>>may have thrown in there.
>>>
>>>BTW:  Something just got me thinking.  I am still wondering about the
>>>fire alarm.  You said normal mil/police smokes and tear gas stays low to
>>>the ground, and I could see why that's desirable.
>>>
>>>Do we know if he used mil/police grade smoke grenades or were they
>>>improvised?
>>
>>Id say he used commercial. Its hard to make a pull/toss igniter that
>>works every time.  And the jury is still out if it was tear gas or not.
>>If it was..it WAS commerical. Which is easy enough to buy, though a  bit
>>expensive.
>>>
>>>Also, wouldn't enough smoke from a few gunshots be sufficient to rise
>>>and break the smoke beams?  I don't know how many particles (or their
>>>size) are emitted in 'smokeless powder' - but I'm sure there is some.
>>>I've always seen .233's shot outdoors, and never paid attention to any
>>>muzzle smoke.
>>
>>Naw...it would take a LOT of shots of smokeless powder to generate
>>enough particulates to trip most smoke detectors in a very large room..
>>More than 70 rds. YMMV of course. Strictly my opinion and based on just
>>gut feeling.
>>
>>And one has to assume that the air conditioning was running, blowing
>>cold air down at the crowd...which would tend to keep anything "heavy"
>>close to the deck.
>
>Wouldn't the return air be up top, and supply air somewhere in the
>middle or lower parts of the walls?  I don't remember.

It would be at the top of the room, heat rises of course.  But keep in
mind the actor only had the show for less than 2 minutes, by all
accounts.

Ive never seen any public buildings that have a cycle time less than a
half hour..least in areas larger than an office.

Gunner

--
"I was eating breakfast with my 13-year-old granddaughter
and I asked her, "What day is the 20th of February?"

She said "It's President's Day!"
(She is a smart kid.)
I asked "What does President's Day mean?"
I was waiting for something about Washington or Lincoln .... etc.
She replied, "President's Day is when President Obama steps out
of the White House, and if he sees his shadow we have
one more year of unemployment."
You know, it hurts when hot coffee spurts out your nose..."