Re: UL approved??

On 11/14/2011 10:40 AM, Jim wrote:
> On Nov 12, 7:57 pm, "ABLE1"<royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>> That is very interesting.  I was told by a tech for another company that it
>> was not accepted and that the owner would have to go to cellular in order to
>> comply with UL standards.
>>
>> The plot thickens.
>>
>> Les
>
> Yeah, I love a thick plot. Tastes like chicken.
>
> Best advice I can give you is to check with AHJ. Here in my area, one
> county AHJ wont accept VoIP yet all the others do. Some will accept
> Internet comunication, others wont. Some are begining to accept one
> land line and what ever else they decide is adequate.
>
> I figure that it probably depends on what they had for breakfast on
> any given day.

First of all, there is no such thing as "UL Approved".  They stopped
using that term in the early 1980s.  They now use the term "UL Listed",
or, if you are talking about a specific alarm system, or a Central
Station, the term "Certified" is used which is backed up by a
"Certificate".  Typically a Central Station, such as ours is referred to
as a "UL Listed Central Station".  Secondly, I contacted our Fire
Marshall and asked about the various methods of creating a dial tone
(cable, fiber, etc.).  His response was we do accept any of them".  I
did not ask about radio options.  Therefore, I go by "the AHJ has the
last word" theory.

John Sowden
American Sentry Systems, Inc.