Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On Mar 27, 5:16=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 9:45=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 22, 10:52=A0am, Jim Rojas <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Troubleshooting Tip:
>
> > > The loss of dial tone with a cable ISP would seem to be a DNS block b=
> > > your provider.
>
> > > Changing the DNS will help the issue:
> > > =A0>Primary: 4.2.2.2
> > > =A0>Secondary: 4.2.2.1
>
> > > Going to WAN setup:
> > > =A0>Disable SIP ALG
> > > =A0>Enable DMZ for netTALK device with netTALK's IP.
>
> > > Port forwarding:Label netTALK
> > > =A0> ALL ports set to UDP
> > > =A0> 5060 - 5060
> > > =A0> 69 - 69
> > > =A0> 10000 - 20000
>
> > > Make sure to restart the netTALK device by unplugging the power and
> > > plugging it back in.
>
> > > Thank you and sorry for any inconveniences,
>
> > > NetTalk Tech Support
>
> > > Jim Rojas
> > > Technical Manuals Online!http://www.tech-man.com
> > > 8002 Cornwall Lane
> > > Tampa, FL 33615-4604
> > > 813-884-6335
>
> > > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>
> > RHC: I =A0"reserved" the Duo IP address within the DHCP pool of my
> > router and opened the DMZ zone to that particular local IP address.
> > Should solve any dial in problems. The Nettalk unit itself is password
> > protected so that's all any hacker will ever see.
>
> > In searching the Nettalk forums, I did find one alarm dealer who
> > claims the unit doesn't kiss off properly using Contact ID or SIA, and
> > he had to fall back to either 4/2 or 3/1 to make it work. Yet your
> > experience seems to say otherwise. I haven't yet done the connection
> > and testing to confirm one way or the other,so...we'll see...-
>
> My feeling about this device is, that you may want to utilize it for
> your own use but regardless of what you or Jim ultimately experience,
> I don't think it would be a good idea to provide, recommend or depend
> upon this device in the course of business. It's likely that it will
> work some or most of the time under some conditions but ...... not
> every time ..... without fail.

RHC: "It will work some or most of the time under some conditions" is
pretty much the definition NOW of how alarms work with all current
VoIP services. That's exactly why reputable companies wont touch VoIP
on alarms !!

 If this is any better, it may offer a solution of some sort; however,
I see your point and acknowledge the worth of it. The question really
is "how MUCH better is this VoIP than previous ones and at what point
is it reliable enough???

Gotta say, I don't know the answer to THAT question....