Re: Some installers should not be working on advanced panels

On Mar 20, 9:41=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: There seem to be two widely varying philosophies towards earning
> a living at play here..
>
> Many if not most people work to earn money sufficient to allow them to
> live properly. This can even evolve such that the quest for money and
> wealth becomes an overriding factor in their lives, dominating all
> else. This class of people "work to live".( on one extreme). As such,
> it is often easiest to to take shortcuts in the work they do, partly
> through laziness and partly because it is too easy to work without the
> need to develop and follow internal standards of competency, quality
> and honesty. Especially when working for someone else, they see no
> personal attachment to whatever they do. Many trudge through life not
> even enjoying what they do for a living.
>
> Then there are the lucky minority who are self motivated in their
> work, and have found something they truly love to do, or who work for
> themselves. Many of these people "live to work" (on the other
> extreme). They enjoy what they do and see the results of their work
> both in customer satisfaction and financial results. They have a
> personal stake in the quality of their work and the customer
> satisfaction that comes from this attitude towards their endeavours.
> The business is theirs, and in the case of small business, they are
> the business !
>
> When one "side" looks at the other, the disparities become quickly
> evident. Thank your lucky stars you are one of the lucky ones who work
> for themselves.....-

I've been a gadget guy and a Mr fixit from the time I was a kid.
At this stage of my life, many people ask me "when are you going to
retire?" or "when are you going to stop working?"

I've come up with a few reasons:

Since I love what I do, even if I retired, I'd still be doing it.

Since I love what I do, I never have to worry about dividing my time
between work and play.
I do what I do, even in my (so called)  spare time.

And that old saying ...... find what you love to do and you'll never
work a day in your life.

One of the (so called) secrets I will occasionally mention to people
who are searching for their path in a profession, is to have (or at
least show) enthusiasm about what ever it is that you are doing. Even
to the point of forcing yourself to have it. It doesn't always work,
but as I see it, if people see that you are enthused about what you
are doing, it's sort of catching. Customers see it and interpret it as
someone anxious and likely to do a good job. And, if you are working
for someone else, it is usually singled out and noticed by employers,
possibly leading to advancement. I find that you can even catch it
from yourself as it becomes a part of your personality. That is ....
once you see the results of what enthusiasm does ..... you actually do
become excited about your profession and doing a good job.

That coupled with my other sage advice about the big secret to running
a sucessful business has worked for me:
Tell the customer what you are going to do .... and do it.