Re: No glass break tube install a piece of wire in Pull Station ? WTF

On 03/07/2011 11:55 AM, nick markowitz wrote:
> On Jul 3, 9:29 am, "doug"<vssd...@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> "G. Morgan"<G_Mor...@xxxxxxxx>  wrote in message

>>> I don't know what old pull-stations you two are talking about.  The ones
>>> like that I've worked on have a toggle switch behind the unit that is
>>> not "easily" actuated by the force of gravity.  In fact, the glass
>>> doesn't hold up the actuator; it's there to visually inspect which one
>>> was pulled on-purpose.  It also acts as a psychological barrier to
>>> prevent some kid pulling it.
>>
>>> I've seen a ton of them without the glass and the little flip actuator
>>> stays up by design. not held up by the glass/match/dowel.
>>
>> They sound like Edward's stations and the rods are still available, the last
>> ones I bought from ADI were plastic with a groove in the middle to allow
>> them to break easily.
>>
>> For the most part though the toggle switch is broken when we get the call to
>> reset the system, caused by someone trying to forcibly close the "flap"
>> without opening the pull station and resetting the toggle switch.
>>
>> I've never seen one with anything other than the glass/plastic rod in place
>> or occasionally without anything at all
>>
>> Doug
>
> I have seen some with a fiberglass break rods  and Kidde unit which
> used a fire board key

Pacific Protective Systems used to manufacture break glass stations with
a fiber washer (a number of them are still in active service even though
they don't have a ULC Listing).  I've seen one instance where a resident
manager replaced the fiber one with a regular steel washer.  Like anyone
carries a screwdriver in their back pocket...  Oh wait...  I just happen
to have one!  :-)

--
Frank Kurz
www.firetechs.net