Re: Ademco Custom Zone Type for outdoor chime

> It might work for  you, but if someone were to do that around here, it
> would drive them crazy. We have raccoons, possum, deer, fox, cats,
> dogs and every other indigenous memeber of a menagerie you can think
> of.

Yes, you definatelly have to get quality motions and dial them in or the
outdoor critters will drive you crazy.  My favorite motion is a Optex
Redwall SIP-100.  It is a long-range narrow-beam motion that I use to
monitor a foot path 90 meters from my house.  It can easily detect a cat at
100 meters (330 feet) on the highest sensitivity.  I have it set up so that
even large dogs do not set off the long-range sensor, but people do.  It
works flawlessly rain or shine, day or night.  In addition to adjusting
sensitivity, it requires precise aiming.  Optex sells a spotters lens that
attaches to the Redwall for precise aiming, but I was able to do it with a
series of careful adjustments and about a dozen climbs on the ladder.  Of
course, a quality motion like this costs six to seven hundred dollars.

The Optex VX-402 is also a fine motion.  My 85 pound golden retriever walks
past them all the time and has never triggered them.  We have ferrel cats,
raccons, turkeys, possums, skunks, ... none of them are a problem for the
VX-402.  The Crow Daredevil recive good reviews, but I've yet to use one.

I also have sensors on outdoor gates, shed, and mail box.  I don't want any
of these devices to trigger an alarm, but I do want to know when any of
these devices or motions are faulted.  Apparently, that is not a feature
supported by the Vista panel, at least not on a single partition.

Best,
Christopher