Media Conceal True Nature of “Flash Mob” Racial Violence

[I guess that according to politically correct doctrine we should, as
the first Christians did, gather in a circle in the arena and do
nothing but pray that the animals don't eat us.]

http://tinyurl.com/3uek29f

John T. Bennett  ?   August 18, 2011

Relying on documents made available exclusively through a Freedom of
Information Act request, we can add another face to the growing
picture of racial ?flash mob? violence in America. It is a face that
the media have concealed from public view.

This writer was forced to use the local Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) to ascertain the facts about the racial identity of one of the
victims of these attacks. The media concealed the identity of the
white victim apparently because of misguided racial sensitivity.

What makes this even more startling is that it is just one of many
examples of racial mob violence occurring around the country, without
any comment from national figures such as President Obama or Attorney
General Eric Holder. But if whites were attacking blacks in this
manner, you can bet it would have already have become a national story
worthy of comment from national political figures.

Consider these incidents:

   * At the Wisconsin State fair, groups of black teens numbering
     anywhere from 25 to 100 ?were targeting anyone who was white  or
     appeared to look white,? and beating them, according to  the
     local police chief. At least 18 people were injured, and  30
     have been arrested.
     http://tinyurl.com/3ce2o2k
     http://tinyurl.com/3ophkx4

   * In Denver, couples leaving restaurants were being attacked by  a
     group of black men with baseball bats.
     http://tinyurl.com/3llzcmo

   * A young white man named Carter Strange had his skull fractured
     by a mob in South Carolina. He was attacked at random while
     jogging.
     http://tinyurl.com/3tojwc6

   * A young white man named Dawid Strucinski was beaten into a  coma
     by a mob in Bayonne, NJ.
     http://tinyurl.com/3dvjogj

   * Anna Taylor, Emily Guendelsberger, and Thomas Fitzgerald were
     beaten to the ground and stomped in separate Philadelphia  flash
     mobs.
     http://tinyurl.com/3gg8nwr
     http://tinyurl.com/3zkfdn5
     http://tinyurl.com/3bttawb

   * ?Every weekend in July,? according to local news, ?police have
     battled large, flash-mob beatings and vandalism? in  Greensboro,
     NC.
     http://tinyurl.com/3bepol3

   * In a mostly-white suburb of Cleveland, witnesses reported  large
     groups of young blacks walking through the streets,  ?shouting
     profanities and racial epithets,? and one man was  viciously
     beaten while leaving a restaurant with his wife and  friends.
     http://tinyurl.com/3dg3m22

   * A young white lady named Shaina Perry was taunted and beaten  by
     a black mob in Milwaukee who remarked ?Oh, white girl  bleeds a
     lot.?
     http://tinyurl.com/6cpy3x2

The similarities among these attacks point to a trend: First of all,
these are not run-of-the-mill crimes. They typically involve group
attacks against defenseless, random victims who have no means to
resist and did nothing to provoke their attackers. These flash mobs
often stomp their victims even after they are down, as most of the
news reports describe.

Then there are the racial similarities: The attackers are invariably
black. Philadelphia?s mayor conceded as much when he condemned flash
mobs, addressing the rioters with the charge, ?You damaged your own
race.? The victims are usually not black. Several qualifications are
in order: It is clear that only a small number of black teens take
part in these attacks. Blacks are more likely to be victims of violent
crime than any other group due to black-on-black crime. Also,
interracial crime is a fraction of all crime, and hate crime is an
even smaller fraction of that. Nonetheless, these flash mobs are a
social problem that needs to be addressed. If the races were reversed,
we would be witnessing an outpouring of guilt of biblical proportions.
Instead, the victims are white and we get an outpouring of ignominious
silence. So far, precious few leaders in academia, politics, the legal
system, or the media have spoken out directly against this troubling
trend.

Far from being isolated incidents, violent flash mobs are part of an
emerging social problem that turns the traditional story of American
racism on its head. If opinion makers reported accurately about these
flash mobs, most Americans would probably alter their views about
racism and conclude that these flash mobs are the worst form of racial
violence in our nation today. Not all of the flash mobs meet the
strict criteria of a hate crime. However, they do represent a growing
wave of racial violence.

The national media should acknowledge what a serious and potentially
widespread social problem they are, but instead the press has
concealed the racial aspect of this problem.

To take one particular example, in Chicago on June 14 of this year,
the local media reported on a 15-year-old, without identifying his
race, who was attacked and robbed by ?a group of seven male teens,?
all ?black.? In a summer filled with mob violence, this story
registered as another small blip in an alarming trend that has emerged
across the country. However, the June 14 robbery was more troubling
than most of the other flash mob attacks: One of the attackers that
day had a gun.

Following their official policy of self-imposed PC censorship, the
local media didn?t mention the race of the victim. Thankfully, the
Chicago Police Department replied to my Freedom of Information Act
request and provided that information in a redacted version of the
incident report. It should not surprise anyone that the victim on June
14 was white. (These FOIA documents are attached to this column).

I can hear the chorus of complaints asking, ?Why does race matter??
That question is usually asked with a tone of consternation, as if the
person asking the question has determined that race must not matter
and is refusing to consider race.

?It?s not about race!? some will say. People are people, and crime is
about bad people doing bad things?or good, poor people whose social
conditions drove them to beat people. But these mob attacks are most
certainly about race, and there is only one specific type of person
committing these attacks. In Chicago, and around the country, flash
mob attacks have been committed by blacks, apparently without
exception.

Not every interracial crime has racial significance. Sometimes a fight
is just a fight, a robbery is just a robbery, a mob is just a mob. But
when there is a trend of racial victimization and a stark racial
component in the participants of the attacks, then there is racial
significance. We are fully justified to be concerned with the racial
aspect of flash mobs, given the larger context of the flash mob
phenomenon in Chicago?to take only one example?this year.

The flash mobs in Chicago began with flash mob robberies in January
when groups of teens shoplifted at three separate stores along
Michigan Avenue. In February, Loyola University warned students and
staffers about ?flash mob offenders? stealing items from nearby
stores. In April 2011, a group of 70 ?youths? ransacked a McDonald?s
and ?created a disturbance? according to a news report.

Then, on Memorial Day weekend, the cultural enrichment turned ugly. A
witness told Chicago?s NBC local affiliate that mobs of ?animals,? as
the witness described them, ?were being rude and abusive and throwing
trash around and defecating?? Other witnesses reported that
?gangbangers? were pushing people off their bikes.

In June, the attackers showed up armed. In robberies on June 5,
between eight and 15 teens boarded a bus without paying and ?began
hitting people,? according to the Chicago Tribune. Three of those
teens were charged with armed robbery, one with unlawful use of a
weapon.

The most publicized flash mob attacks took place when five non-blacks
were attacked in one hour by a pack of 20 teens on the North Side. As
of June 13, Mayor Rahm Emanuel said that over 30 people had been
arrested in the various mob attacks that month. Then, on June 14, the
white 15-year-old was robbed at gunpoint by a group of blacks.

Not far away, the flash mobs could have reached an awful crescendo in
Peoria. On June 24, a mob of at least 50 blacks teens were stopping
traffic in the street, and ?running wildly through yards and porches?
in a quiet suburban neighborhood in what one witness described as a
?show of force.? Another witness says that a black teen yelled out,
?We?re gonna kill all the white people. This is our neighborhood.? In
this context, a reasonable reporter would be acting appropriately to
include the race of victims and attackers in group attacks.

However, when it comes to black-on-white crime, as Chicago Tribune
editor Gerald Kern publicly admitted, ?We do not reference race unless
it is a fact that is central to telling the story.? In other words,
the Tribune will not reference race. How will we know if a fact is
central to a story unless we have context? We?ll never have context to
understand racial violence if the media conceal racial facts. If we?re
not told the race of victims and attackers, we can?t observe a pattern
of behavior, and we will have no idea whether race is central to a
story. The Tribune?s reporting is thus an Orwellian void that leaves
us all less informed, and less safe.

But this is not unique. The Washington Post, New York Times, and L.A.
Times join the Tribune in admitting that they have, in effect, a
policy of not reporting race.

Whether or not a fact is ?central to a story? is naturally a value
judgment that says as much about the ideology of an editor as it does
about the facts of a story. Needless to say, when the race of mob
violence victims is white, a liberal editor will usually not find that
fact ?central? to a story.

White victimization in racial violence is an inconvenient fact for
those who are dedicated to social justice, a dogma based on faith in
perpetual white guilt. Journalism departments play their part in
maintaining the dogma. We?re not going to remain addled with white
guilt if we fully acknowledge anti-white crime. So liberals downplay
white victims to maintain their traditional belief in monolithic white
racism, the one tradition that liberals believe in maintaining.

If we are truly committed to ?social justice,? however, we must
acknowledge that concealing the facts about racial violence and other
social problems leaves us endangered and intellectually impoverished.
Refusing to face facts will inhibit finding a solution to the problem,
and virtually guarantee that the problem will only get worse.

About the author John T. Bennett

John T. Bennett (MA, University of Chicago, MAPSS '07) is a veteran,
writer, and law student at Emory University. His work appears at
American Thinker and World Net Daily, among others. He can be
contacted at jbenne5@xxxxxxxxx