Re: Anyone know how to protect a utility trailer in the homeowners yard?

On Jul 5, 4:31 pm, "p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brewingto...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Anyone know how to protect a utility trailer in the homeowners yard?
> He parks it beside the road.
> He has an Ademco panel with wireless capability.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

You didn't say if you wanted to protect what was in the trailer or
just detect if it was moved.

Here's something that's a little elaborate but it would make it easy
to use if you just want to detect if the trailer was moved.

Set up a photo electric eye outside. Park the trailer between the
transmitter and receiver. Program the panel with an open circuit auto
bypass zone. When the trailer is there and you arm the system, it will
detect if it's moved. If you arm the system and the trailer isn't
there, the system will auto bypass the zone. If the panel is
partitionable, you may want to put the trailer zone on it's own
partition. If the panel has an auto rearm feature you could probably
use that too. The down side is that you have to run wires out to the
PE's. Depends on how much the trailer is worth to determine how much
you want to put into protecting it.

If you want to protect the contents of the trailer ...... that's a
whole different big can of worms.

We make our own pull cords using a weather proof 4" grey electrical box from
Home Depot and  1 short orange exstintion cord and 1 50' orange exstintion
cord.

We drill 2 holes in the bottom of the 4" electrical box and place the mail
side of the cord through one hole and the female side of the cord on the
other. We leave about 1 foot of cord on the outside of the box. On the
inside, we crimp a strain relive clamp on the cord so it can not be pulled
out of the box. Then we strip with wire back exsposing the black, white and
green wires. This is done on each side. We pick the color we want to use (it
changes each time we make these) and cut the unused colors. If we choose
green, then 1 green wires goes to one of the terminals on the wireless
transmitters, and the other green wire goes to the other terminal on the
wireless transmitter.  Then we put the cover on the transmitter and close
the box. I also put a tamper switch inside the box by taking glue and
putting a magnet on the box cover and the switch on the box inside wall.

Now we usually mount the box wherever the customer needs the protection and
they can use a long power cord to weave through the equipment stored out
side and then they plug both ends to the electrical cords comming out of the
4'' grey box. We have been doing this for years with no problems. I have
this setup at my house which protects my 4 wheelers and go karts located in
my shed...

Matthew