Re: another APX oops moment

On Sep 8, 7:43=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think so too re. manuals). But in defense, I think that the manuals
> are in response to all the ...ummm programing challenged installers
> that can't fathom the intricacies of all the options. I think that
> where all of this controversy lies is in the fact that the Napco
> panels DO offer a myriad of programing options as compared to most
> other panels .....

Not really, I'd say a GE NX-8E compares in features to a 9600/255 and
it comes with 1 manual. The multiple manuals on the Napco is because
programming is quite a bit different depending on which keypad you are
using which is part of the problem.

The problem with Napco is that those programming options are spread
all over the place which requires the manuals. Almost everyone else
has most of these options in easier to use menus. If they'd fix that
it would be a vast improvement

> I don't know what the "Advent" compares to in the Napco line and I'd
> guess that on any panel you'd compare, my list of options provided to
> the client would be longer than yours.

The Advent is GE's top of the line system, roughly compares to the
X255

 I could, if necessary, program
> everything up to and including a 1632 by hand for a basic no frills
> install and occasioally make changes via kepad when required. But
> you're right, there are so many options on the Napco panels that I
> can't remember them all

It's not an issue of how many options are available it's how they are
presented to the installer, when you have a decent programming
interface you really don't need the manual for much of anything.
Almost everyone else has moved to a more menu-oriented interface,
Napco only uses that with the quick-start program section.

> And ..... the other thing is ........... they're built like a rock
> with "bad out of the box" almost non existant over decades.

Which is surprising considering that their board design and circuitry
layout is way behind the times and expensive to manufacture, likely
one of the reasons they moved offshore before everyone else. Compare a
P3200/9600 board to everyone else and you'll see what I'm talking
about, all those resistors, caps and diodes cost money to hand solder
and provide a potential point of breakage, everyone else has moved to
much better integration.