Re: another APX oops moment

On Sep 8, 11:58=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> You've been saying that for years but I don't find that to be so here.
> The only installers that I come across who program by hand are the
> ones who consistantly use the small panels; =A0That, I'll grant you =A0..=
.
> are so simple to program, it's not worth setting up a lap top. On the
> bigger panels, everyone I've ever asked, regardless of which
> manufacturer they use, uses a laptop. And I've asked a lot of people
> due to your comments. At first, when you insisted that more people
> hand program, =A0I actually thought that I might be the only one of a
> few who was using a laptop for programing.

The vast majority of installers hand-program panels, if you don't
believe me ask the manufacturers. Each one has told me the number that
download is between 5 and 10% which is why they don't put that much
effort in software development.

Compare any current download software with any Windows-based
application like Word or Excel and you'll see what I mean

> So I don't know if it's just due to the "level" of customers you have,
> the area you're in, =A0or what, but compared to what I see here, what
> you're saying just aint so. Also, I don't recall that anyone has ever
> said here that they only hand program either.

All I can say is you are in an exclusive group

> Yet, I seem to remember seeing a survey someplace that they're the 3rd
> most used panels nationally and I'm pretty sure they're number one
> ( or pretty close to it) =A0in this area, dispite having Honeywell
> (Ademco) as a close neighbor since their start up about 45 years ago.

4th actually which isn't saying much considering there are only 4
major manufacturers left

> On the other hand, I can see why they might not ever become number
> one.
>
> There are fewer and fewer installers that have the background and know-
> how to use them. That just goes along with my thinking about Contact
> ID. Although it's easier to program, thus reducing possible mistakes
> in programing, it also serves in the ever continuing process of
> dumbing down the installers and reducing the options that the enduser
> might better be able to utilize with more flexible panels. Although as
> with all things technical, is an inevitable process.

I could respond by saying the panels are more difficult than necessary
to program, when the package comes with a programming manual for an
alpha keypad and another for a fixed-English or LED keypad that's
beyond silly.

I can program a GE Advent from the keypad without the installer
manual, almost all locations menu-driven, same with Honeywell, you can
have a flexible panel without requiring a tech to spend an hour
programming the thing. If Napco could do that I'd be happy