Re: another APX oops moment

On Sep 8, 12:46=A0am, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 12:37=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > "mleuck" <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:adf78f56-8dcd-41b8-8=
4f9-
> > > I won't get into a pissing match about what panel is best but while
> > > they are well built and very functional I've yet to see anything on a
> > > Napco panel that makes me want to switch to one
>
> > That's the nicest thing I think I've ever seen you post about Napco. =
=A0

> I never said they were bad panels, to me they are more of a pain to
> program via keypad (yes 99% of installers still do that) and the
> download software is junk.

You've been saying that for years but I don't find that to be so here.
The only installers that I come across who program by hand are the
ones who consistantly use the small panels;  That, I'll grant you  ...
are so simple to program, it's not worth setting up a lap top. On the
bigger panels, everyone I've ever asked, regardless of which
manufacturer they use, uses a laptop. And I've asked a lot of people
due to your comments. At first, when you insisted that more people
hand program,  I actually thought that I might be the only one of a
few who was using a laptop for programing.

So I don't know if it's just due to the "level" of customers you have,
the area you're in,  or what, but compared to what I see here, what
you're saying just aint so. Also, I don't recall that anyone has ever
said here that they only hand program either.

> They are also falling behind on the technology front with the lack of
> graphics keypads, a decent cellular module and remote access over the
> net.
>
> Other than that great panels... :)

Yet, I seem to remember seeing a survey someplace that they're the 3rd
most used panels nationally and I'm pretty sure they're number one
( or pretty close to it)  in this area, dispite having Honeywell
(Ademco) as a close neighbor since their start up about 45 years ago.

On the other hand, I can see why they might not ever become number
one.

There are fewer and fewer installers that have the background and know-
how to use them. That just goes along with my thinking about Contact
ID. Although it's easier to program, thus reducing possible mistakes
in programing, it also serves in the ever continuing process of
dumbing down the installers and reducing the options that the enduser
might better be able to utilize with more flexible panels. Although as
with all things technical, is an inevitable process.